Author Topic: GWR Auto Trailer  (Read 1361 times)

Offline mikemill

GWR Auto Trailer
« on: July 12, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »
One example of GWR rolling stock that has been on the to do list is an early version of an Auto Trailer. I used laser cutting, CNC machining, and 3D printing to make the various parts. The model is Gauge 3 and 31in long
The body of the trailer is made from layers of styrene sheet cut on a CNC mill, construction comprised of a 1.5mm inside layer, a 3mm gap to take the glazing, then an 1mm outside layer then a 0.75mm for the panelling.
The chassis and the bogie bolsters are made from laser cut 1mm steel sheet, folded to from the various shapes. The bogie overlay detail are 3D printed along with the roof ventilators.
The trailers were often paired with 417 class tank engines as the picture

Mike

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: GWR Auto Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »
I had to google GWR Auto Trailer. Very interesting concept!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 06:45:54 PM »
Love the details and the final result  :praise2:   :praise2:

I knew of other places in Europe where something similar was used - but I followed Rons idea and Googled GWR Auto Trailer - interesting history and amazing that there only where Two Accidents over the years  :LittleAngel:

Per       :cheers:

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 02:41:40 PM »
I also googled GWR auto trailer, and get hooked too by this system !
everyday something to learn here !

great and not common model btw, congratulations !

Offline mikemill

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 09:25:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments, the push pull system came about as its predecessors were steam railmotors. I built one of these in G1 a few years ago, the railmotors were expensive to maintain and were replaced with the trailers. Some of the railmotors were converted into trailers.
Mike

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 11:36:53 AM »
There are a number of autotrailers and auto fitted locomotives still used on heritage railways.

Here, for comparison with that excellent model, is the recently restored full size GWR railmotor. Restoration involved a completely new power unit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/GWR_Railmotor_approaches_Dunster_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3376665.jpg

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/zrailmotor93/

Offline mikemill

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 09:40:06 AM »
Charles

My model of the railmotor was inspired by Didcots restoration. I live 20 miles away and I have been a member there for over forty years.

I photographed  the railmotor for reference to build the model.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal