Author Topic: Small Flash Single  (Read 10498 times)

Offline vtsteam

Small Flash Single
« on: November 27, 2022, 04:37:38 AM »
Well this is a first engine here for me -- I started it about a week ago. Very aware of the very high level of workmanship and complexity I've watched over the years here in the amazing projects people do. And a little nervous about posting!

This engine is intended as a 1" bore and .75" stroke single that I'd like to power with a wood fired flash plant and possibly power a small generator. The engine design is heavily influenced by the Westbury/Spartan, Kirtley/Pisces, and especially the KBC/OOYA marine model lineage, as is probably obvious. One small difference is that the crankcase and cylinder will be iron, and cast as a whole. Weight is not a drawback in a small stationary engine, and it's easy for me to cast full components in iron.

Since this isn't a racing engine, it's going to be a little more conservative in build and in performance. I have to admit to a pipe dream that, if it works out, I'd like to try my hand at a double size version for use as a steam powered outboard motor. But that's a whole separate topic.

Anyway, here is the start I made last week. An initial drawing of the crankcase and a simple pattern. I decided not to core the pattern to make it easier to avoid chilling the thin sections, and shrinking the thick ones:

Steve

Offline vtsteam

Re: Small Flash Single
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 04:43:22 AM »
This was the pattern I glued up:

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 04:44:25 AM »
And then painted:

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 04:50:11 AM »
We had some unseasonably cold temps and high winds for a few days but eventually it warmed up a little and I was able to melt some iron and pour the mold. I was a little out of practice in casting, so it took a few hours for me to mold the pattern properly and get the furnace burner cleaned and back in operation. The pour did go well after that with no real problems.

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 04:53:03 AM »
I waited 3 hours to break open the mold. There was some shrinkage in the new casting, but enough machining allowance to compensate for it.

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 04:54:58 AM »
Cleaned up:

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 04:59:34 AM »
Next up came boring the cylinder. I decided to do that before clearing out the crankcase bore, since the casting could be held more easily with a solid base:

Steve

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 05:03:46 AM »
Doing your own castings seems like quite a challenge, and it sure looks nice!

Kim

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 05:05:12 AM »
At the same sitting, I turned the top flange and the exhaust chamber. Uniflow ports will later be milled at the bottom of that chamber into the cylinder.

An outer manifold ring will set down over the top flange and mate with the groove at the bottom of the exhaust chamber. The top of the ring will be flush with the top flange and the head will seal against both.

Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 05:15:43 AM »
Thanks Kim! I do love casting, though it can be frustrating at times. I think I lucked out a little on this first one after a long period of inactivity for me. It took re-molding the pattern a couple times because I forgot one or two steps. But I didn't rush it, and went back and re-made it.

Here's the front bearing housing drawing and pattern, and where I am so far. Though I might not cast the valve guide boss as shown. I can't clean up the casting in the lathe if I do it this way, and I don't have a rotary table for the mill. So maybe I'll make the little cubic block separately and braze them together after turning the main part.

Steve

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 10:30:25 AM »
your own castings in iron, and getting machinable parts; wow! congratulations !

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
Well done, vtsteam.

I can still remember, vividly, my first success with casting in Iron. Just a simple part for one of my vintage Lister engines. That was nearly 40 years ago now, see attached snippet from an article I wrote for Stationary Engine magazine.

The choice of the scrap to be melted plays the most important part in determining the outcome. I was lucky to have a friend who’s profession was in metallurgy. He recommended the crankcases from the now defunct Suffolk Iron foundry lawnmower engines. If melted quickly the Iron would not loose much of its core ingredients.

Needless to say as demand grew for my engine kits and being in full time employment I had to start using a commercial Iron foundry.

Home casting isn’t beyond the capability of anyone willing to have a bash and the end result provides immense satisfaction.

:cheers:  Graham.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 11:54:03 PM »
Thank you kindly Zephyrin and Graham!  :cheers:

Graham I have an Indian Lister clone which has served us for a decade as a backup home power supply during outages.... generally 3 or 4 times a year around here. The 600 rpm chug, chug, chug is far more pleasant on the ears than our former 3600 rpm Generac racket maker!

It was one of the last Lister clones imported before that was blocked here because they didn't have modern diesel emissions certifications. 
Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 02:27:06 AM »
I set up the casting in my old round column mill drill this afternoon and found it tricky to start the bore with a drill, as the cylinder hole was a little deeper than the centerline of the case bore. So the bit was more than half exposed. But I got it done.

Also spent some time trying to set the mill drill's height so that I didn't have to raise or lower it when changing from drill chuck to boring head, and switching between a centering drill, a couple other drill bits and and 2 boring bars. I don't have a means of keeping the head centered if I have to change the height during an operation.

I did find a height setting that worked for all -- glad I did that before starting to drill!

Boring, too, was a little hard on the old mill. if I tried to take to much off it made some unpleasant clacking sounds from the spindle. Maybe the quill slapping. This is an interrupted cut in cast iron so I just had to take it slowly, about ten thou per pass. I hadn't finished by supper time, so I decided to leave it for tomorrow.

I think next time I'd to do this type of job in my lathe. Anyway, here's where I am this evening:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:31:40 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 06:02:56 PM »
I find your engine very interesting and will be very happy to follow your report.
And the housing reminds me a lot of the housing of a compressor on my diesel tractor.
So I could also build a steam engine.........

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal