Author Topic: Hope.our friends in Buffalo are alright  (Read 1261 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Hope.our friends in Buffalo are alright
« on: November 22, 2022, 08:46:04 PM »
Looks like tough times from here!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 12:00:44 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Hope.our friends in Buffalo are alright
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:33:04 AM »
When I lived in Maryland all I ever had was a snow shovel. I don't think that would cut it in Buffalo.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:51:07 AM »
Yeah, This reminds me of when I was a kid. My dad's step mother lived in Ironwood Michigan in the UP. She used to send us letters written on the newspapers snowfall records. Never had that much snow in Madison, at least in one storm. We did have 113 inches one year but that was the whole winters snowfall!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:03:15 PM »
The worst I've been through is 30" or so...  "Blizzard of 78"   That brought civilization in my part of the world to a complete standstill for about 2 weeks..   and that was insane.....It's hard to comprehend over 6 feet
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »
Yeah, This reminds me of when I was a kid. My dad's step mother lived in Ironwood Michigan in the UP. She used to send us letters written on the newspapers snowfall records. Never had that much snow in Madison, at least in one storm. We did have 113 inches one year but that was the whole winters snowfall!
Art

Central MA got 72" over 3 weeks...about 3 or 4 years ago...and that was bad enough....
Damned ijjit!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 12:16:00 AM »
I imagine Chris (Crueby, "kinda" near Buffalo) is probably tooling around the neighborhood with his "Elves" on the Lombard plowing driveways & pulling cars out.

You gotta love (or hate..), living by these "Great Lakes".  We "only" got about 12-16" inches here along the lakeshore & a "stones throw" inland.

John
-Living by the "Mistake on the lake", Erie PA

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:42:35 AM »
I imagine Chris (Crueby, "kinda" near Buffalo) is probably tooling around the neighborhood with his "Elves" on the Lombard plowing driveways & pulling cars out.

You gotta love (or hate..), living by these "Great Lakes".  We "only" got about 12-16" inches here along the lakeshore & a "stones throw" inland.

John
-Living by the "Mistake on the lake", Erie PA
I'm about an hours drive from where they got all the snow - the city of Buffalo got a fair bit, it was the Hamburg and Oak Orchard areas southof the city that got hammered with 6 or 7 feet. Its a small area that got that snow, they are on a direct east/west line across Lake Erie which is still warm this time of year, and the cold air in storms picks up all the moisture and dumps it as soon as it gets back over land again. Later in the winter they dont get anywhere near as much snow since the lake there is shallow and it freezes over quite a ways out from shore. The east end of Lake Ontario (I am south of that lake) has a similar issue, but Ontario is much deeper so it doesn't freeze, they get snow there all winter long, on the Tug Hill Plateau. Tug Hill area is not very populated, but a lot of houses there have doors on ground floor AND the one above to get out in the winter. That area is heaven for the snowmobile crowd, lots of forests with deep snow all winter.

Where I am got about 1/2 inch that one night, mostly gone the next day, so the elves and I stayed inside drinking hot chocolate and playing cards! It would have been tough to get over to the Hamburg area to snowplow since they closed the Thruway near me all the way west to Pennsylvania the night before the storm hit since they knew a section over there would be impassable to anything less than a Lombard or a SnowCat. Several of the Lombard gas-powered trucks actually were used up in Maine to keep the roads between the cities open during the winter back in those days, they were the only thing that could get through the drifts with a plow. Before that they had to close down all land travel in that area for months - they used the ferry boats on the Atlantic side to get through, there were regular mail and passenger boats (like the Sabino) running up and down the coast as well as all the fishing boats.

Chris

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »
Back around 1978 Lake Erie froze, got dumped weigh snow, then got hit by a strong easterly. Snow blew off of the frozen lake.

I lived below the Niagara escarpment and we were ok, but on the escarpment… I vividly remember a picture of a snowmobiler sitting on his sled, one foot on a tree stump. But that was not a stump, but the utility pole at the end of his lane. And pics of snow drifts, almost hiding houses.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 12:00:12 AM »
Back around 1978 Lake Erie froze, got dumped weigh snow, then got hit by a strong easterly. Snow blew off of the frozen lake.

I lived below the Niagara escarpment and we were ok, but on the escarpment… I vividly remember a picture of a snowmobiler sitting on his sled, one foot on a tree stump. But that was not a stump, but the utility pole at the end of his lane. And pics of snow drifts, almost hiding houses.

As a young man back in 78'   I remember my dad assigning my brother and I to go out and dig out all the fire hydrants in the area...The drifts were 10-15 feet in places...and remember digging down to find the top of the street sign, knowing that about 3 feet to the right was the fire hydrant......
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 12:51:32 AM »

As a young man back in 78'   I remember my dad assigning my brother and I to go out and dig out all the fire hydrants in the area...The drifts were 10-15 feet in places...and remember digging down to find the top of the street sign, knowing that about 3 feet to the right was the fire hydrant......
I hope you dug another foot to the right to dig out the dog that was peeing on the hydrant when the storm hit...   :Jester:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 01:13:49 AM »
We got about 14" total in Barrie in two separate storms about 24 hours apart. It has been above freezing at mid day ever since, and the snow is going, but we still have about 8" on the ground. The weather forecast is calling for another week of days above freezing at mid day, so I hope most of it melts.

Offline Del_61

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
Here in the UK, if the depth of snow exceeds the thickness of a peice of paper, the Country comes to a standstill...it becomes a bit like that film "The Day After Tomorrow"......

Regards to all

Derek

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 08:01:33 AM »
Three snowflakes meet.
One snowflake asks: What do we want to do today?
said another:
Let's fly to Germany and wreak havoc......

Michael

Offline tghs

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »
while in the Coast Guard I was stationed at Alexandria Bay NY , 30 miles north of Watertown NY, around 1985 the erea was welcoming the 10th mountain division moving to Ft Drum,, it was decided that a big winter carnival would be held,, Lake effect dropped in and the winter carnival was basically cancelled do to excessive snow...
what the @#&% over

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 12:50:55 PM »
while in the Coast Guard I was stationed at Alexandria Bay NY , 30 miles north of Watertown NY, around 1985 the erea was welcoming the 10th mountain division moving to Ft Drum,, it was decided that a big winter carnival would be held,, Lake effect dropped in and the winter carnival was basically cancelled do to excessive snow...

Now THAT is irony!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal