Author Topic: Rigid lathe indicator stand  (Read 1080 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Rigid lathe indicator stand
« on: November 13, 2022, 09:13:30 PM »
While parts are running on the mill, I'dve been running the lathe.  I recently got a Starrett dial indicator bore attachment, and coupled that up with a .0001" dial indicator, so that I can reach down into a bore nearly 1.5" and measure run out.   Nice to have, but there's a problem.    The indicator stand that I have, which has a T nut that fits the cross slide dovetail, has a 7/16" post, and a 3.8" leg....and with a .0001" indicator, it is FAR too flexible to useful......

So it needs a good stiffening up!   

I rummaged through my box, and took a look at some builds online, specifically Stefan Gotteswinters build for his, and I really like that one a lot!    I especially like the fine adjustment
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37TLOf3GWwM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37TLOf3GWwM</a>
Well   I rummaged around my shop for stock, and while looking at what other indicator related items I had, I found a indicator stand snug, that was missing the rods.   It's a good size one with the main rod having a 19 mm and the other is 0.375"....

A beam of round section has a area moment of inertia of PI D4/ 64.   Or the stiffness, all other variables being the same, is a function of the difference in diameter to the 4th power

D4/d4 is 4.66 times as stiff,  or for the same force, it will deflect 1/4.66 times as much  I like that!    and ...well   I have it already!    I like that part even better!

So I turned up a 19 mm post from 3/4" steel tubing, and I'm bonding it into a round steel base.   Up through the center will be a clamp T bolt with a tightening knob at the top of the post.   That way I can position this base in lots of positions based on what is on the cross slide...and hopefull stay out of the way.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:02:33 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Rigid lathe indicator stand
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:22:24 PM »
Oh  and I didn't mention, I hate mag bases on my lathe, it just turns everyting into a giant ball of chips.....I'd much rather have a stand that slips into a T slot on the cross slide, so that's where I'm going with mine.    I can rotate the base about the T bolt  and maximize the contact with the cross slide, but still "get it out of the way" when I need to.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:27:51 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:59:16 AM »
Looks like a substancial improvement Dave  :ThumbsUp:

There are no Dovetails or the like on my Lathe - so I'm stuck with the Magnetic Base ....

Per

Offline Overbuilt and Overkill

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
"There are no dovetails or the like on my lathe-so I'm stuck with the magnetic base..." Maybe not if your just wanting the indicator for checking and adjusting part runout. Robin Renzeti on Youtube showed a custom built blind threaded top nut on his quick change tool post for his Hardinge HLV lathe. Above the nut itself he turned a short stub shaft sized to suit his magnetic bases snug. That would be .375" in diameter for my imperial sized Starrett snug if I recall it's dimensions correctly. Since it's then always there and ready to go it's fast to use. Drop the snug and cross bar in place, rough adjust the indicator for zero on the part, tighten that snug and adjust for final zero point with the cross slide. No extra tools needed or removing whatever tool is already mounted in the square turret or qctp as well. One of those is on my roundtuit list. As Gorge Thomas used to say, the time spent building any machine tool accessory is repaid every time you use it.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:25:00 AM »
"There are no dovetails or the like on my lathe-so I'm stuck with the magnetic base..." Maybe not if your just wanting the indicator for checking and adjusting part runout. Robin Renzeti on Youtube showed a custom built blind threaded top nut on his quick change tool post for his Hardinge HLV lathe. Above the nut itself he turned a short stub shaft sized to suit his magnetic bases snug. That would be .375" in diameter for my imperial sized Starrett snug if I recall it's dimensions correctly. Since it's then always there and ready to go it's fast to use. Drop the snug and cross bar in place, rough adjust the indicator for zero on the part, tighten that snug and adjust for final zero point with the cross slide. No extra tools needed or removing whatever tool is already mounted in the square turret or qctp as well. One of those is on my roundtuit list. As Gorge Thomas used to say, the time spent building any machine tool accessory is repaid every time you use it.

Overkill

Please see the beginning of this thread, yes I could put it there, but it crowds the tool post on my rather small,   compared to a Hardinge HLV anyway, Southbend 9     As I do have the T slots, and based  on the one that is mounted to the t slots now,  if it was stiffer it would be perfectly suited to how I use my lathe.....so I'm going that way.      My version is a version of Stefans, which is a version of Robin's
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 02:31:49 PM »
I should probably mention that I usually solve the problem with what I got - it wasn't a complaint ....

But that you for suggesting yet another possible solution.

Per

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
I should probably mention that I usually solve the problem with what I got - it wasn't a complaint ....

But that you for suggesting yet another possible solution.

Per

Not taken as one     I just don't like mag bases on my lathe.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal