Author Topic: A Very Simple Corliss Engine  (Read 2321 times)

Online Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: A Very Simple Corliss Engine
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 05:42:21 AM »
Fhanks for the suggestion, Per.  It seems like a tailstock center would be needed but with a bar long enough to use it made it too flexible when the small diameter between the balls was turned.  My best attempt so far has been to work very close to the chuck with very sharp HSS tools and very fine cuts. About a half thou as I approach final diameter. And also to work on just one ball at a time from the outer to the inner. That way, the tool pressure is very close to the small diameter and so there is less bending force applied.  Initial shaping of the ball is done with files by hand.  I know that there is danger working so close to the chuck and so I wear short sleeves and no jewelry.  And I only use those fingers that I can do without if I have to.  i have also create some form tools for bring the final spherical shape and also for polishing the spheres.  I'll try to get some pictures of them in the next post,

Jerry

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:29:40 PM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal