Author Topic: left and right diamond tool holders  (Read 2669 times)

Offline KellisRJ

Re: left and right diamond tool holders
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »
They are available in the US too:

https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/list/group/415

Gary , Eccentric Engineering, told me  he will be will be closing his association with Village Press.

Ron

Offline KellisRJ

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
I use a diamond tool holder on my Myford, and it pretty much does all the turning I do without moving it.
I now use 1/4" square Stellite tool bits and they last much longer than HSS between sharpening.
. . .
 I then hone that flat face with a fine diamond file before use and I get a superb finish with them.

Phil
Just my $.02.  I used to do the same thing until I reread Gary's instructions saying because the cutting is on the edge, honing flat doesn't make ant difference. I haven't seen a change since I stopped.

Offline KellisRJ

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »
I've had both right- and left-hand Diamond tool holders for several years and they get more use than any other lathe tools, despite also having a good selection of TC.
Eccentric Engineering is worth following on Facebook - Garry picks up some very entertaining odd jobs that make up the "... weird stuff" mentioned on his web site. Actually, the last time I saw the back of his ute, the byline read "... and weird s**t" maybe he can't use that on the WWW?

Eccentric Engineering products are innovative and all the ones I've handled have been very well designed and made - highly recommended.

David

I enjoy mine so much I have gifted them to others. I don't do "real" FB much, but his Instagram is quite good. He is  also quite generous with his responses on both IG and personal email. 

Ron

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 12:00:48 AM »
Many years ago I made my own Drummond style quick change toolpost and 7 holders to go with it. I also wanted to try the Diamond toolpost geometry built into a holder  So I made one to suit, and It worked quite well.

At first did have the sharpening angle wrong (too steep -- see below) but it still worked. Later made a jig for grinding the correct angle, and it worked even better.

Steve

Offline Alston

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 07:07:04 PM »
I bought one of these several years ago. A few of us commented on the design and they changed the shank angle relative to the cutter making it a bit more user friendly. They do work nicely and I’ve cut very hard materials using bits of reground carbide from broken end mills.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal