Author Topic: Alyn Foundry Nattie  (Read 8681 times)

Offline RayW

Alyn Foundry Nattie
« on: November 12, 2022, 02:44:36 PM »
Thanks to Graham, I am now the proud owner of a set of castings for his little horizontal flame licker engine Nattie. Well, when I say a set of castings, the flywheels will be coming later once Graham gets them from the foundry.
This is going to be an interesting project as there are no plans or drawings, so it is very much a case of make it up as you go.

To date, there have only been three other Natties, the original owned by Graham, another built by Grahams friend Mike which is now in the USA, and one with Jason.

If I remember correctly, Graham only took 18 years to get his running so that means mine should be going by the time I am 95!!

The name Nattie, incidentally, comes from the fact that the design is loosely based on a National gas engine.

To give some idea of size, the main bed is about 5 1/2" (140mm) long. Overall length with cylinder head will be about 9".  Height 3 1/2". Bore will be 1 1/2".
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Alyn Foundry Nattie
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »
Great to see the castings arrived safely Ray.   :ThumbsUp:

The project was started some 22/3 years ago, the first castings were done at the Rhuddlan Iron foundry. At the time both Mike and I were tearing our hair out trying to get it to run. Needless to say after a lapse of 18 years I finally found a solution to the problem. The exhaust port just wasn’t enough on the original design.

The engine is based upon an 1890/1900 National gas engine company of Ashton under Line Manchester size N, deep base gas engine. Picture below. A model was going to be used as a raffle prize for an event at the Anson engine museum but, for obvious reasons it never happened.

:cheers:  Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 04:29:47 PM »
Good to see the Nattie family growing Ray. Mine has been sitting idle for a while as other things have taken my fancy, it just needs the shutter and cam doing to complete it. Let me know if you want me to measure anything as it's easy enough to pull it apart.

Although I have not yet done a write up this link should take you to my album though it seems I've not taken images of all the parts.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jasonballamy/a/971abc43-8065-4499-ac0f-7f8320299ed1

Offline RayW

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »
Thanks Jason, much appreciated. I will no doubt be in touch for info as I make progress. I have tried to open your Photobucket link but there seems to be a problem as it won't open for me.
Ray

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline RayW

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks Jason, now opened OK. That will be very helpful.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 11:47:09 AM »
Good morning Ray.

The flame port is driven by a sideshaft, just like the original but at a 1:1 ratio. Originally we bought the gears from HPC Ltd but now, thanks to eBay, you can get 4 gears for under the price of one today. Here’s the link….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403817016419?hash=item5e055eac63:g:cdUAAOSwR-li7NWS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPX7ejvokWzM8n0hb7sT8i%2BseNAqXxTOUf4%2Fob%2BsQOhaklQvbrH51eNpNUT7fs5YxxtdyRLtRakYeaKmzSsVJePDJGzXkxKyXaLYs9JA%2BHBEZOAn36qAG3VBBRz%2FXFzGZIcwaVVvaIFLmrsGHvdSTYuNV9KWdQC1%2B4YyMBBkAHcJRn7SoKpWXMVAdMJgObwkTWaNWPt3HaMjBB7B93T0lAQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9Lxv4uOYQ

If you like I will order them myself as I think another Nattie needs a home at the Anson engine museum.  ;) They have a 6 mm bore and that will save many hours of faffing about trying to accurately bore out the 2 mm versions.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »
Try it now Ray, I had it set as private.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jasonballamy/a/971abc43-8065-4499-ac0f-7f8320299ed1

Some great pictures there Jason. :ThumbsUp:

It will be interesting to hear the exhaust note from the twin port reed valves. I received some pictures from the foundry of the flywheels cast from your pattern. Attached below.

Your engine number is 104 and Ray’s is 105. Having recently tracked down Mike’s engine which now lives in the USA the family has decided to keep Mike’s preference of number 112.

Offline RayW

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »
If you could order gears for me as the same time Graham, that would be very helpful.

Jason, did you use ball races for the main bearings or bronze bushes? I can't quite see from the photos. Also, what was the thinking behind making the bearing surfaces sloping as opposed to horizontal?

Got the outside of the cylinder and the exhaust port face machined today so a bit more progress. Found my new indexable carbide tipped tools struggling a bit to get a decent finish, but ended up with something acceptable after a bit of trial and error..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:36:25 PM by RayW »
Ray

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 05:07:27 PM »
Ball races as suggested by Graham.

The casting is based on the national Gas engine and that has a sloping joint line. It did not cast too well on my example but the oil cup is supposed to be in the middle with the two surfaces for the nuts as shown by the rings. I think Graham just left his solid but I wanted some nuts at least so decided to go the whole hog and make separate caps from something not as hard!

Offline RayW

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 05:23:56 PM »
Think I will probably follow your example Jason. Glad to hear you found the castings hard- I thought is was just me. Perhaps some nice ornamental brass or bronze caps would look good. Are your bearings just clamped by the bearing caps and did you use one or two per side?
Ray

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 06:11:44 PM »
Mine is an old original casting, had hoped the new ones would be softer.

I just gave the caps a quick rub on some emery after boring so they nip the bearings in place. One per sid eat the moment but I bought enough for two

Offline RayW

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 04:16:27 PM »
Made a start on milling the front face of the bed casting, only for the controller to die on the mill. Have ordered a new one which should be here any day now. Fortunately, it is only a fairly cheap Chinese unit so not too costly to replace at about £20.

With the mill out of action, I decided to do whatever I could on the lathe. The cylinder has now been bored (after a few traumas) and the piston turned to a nice sliding fit.
Ray

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 06:01:02 PM »
I am pleased the controller board for your mill was still available  :)

Good progress Ray

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 07:23:33 PM »
Good to see some more progress, what bore did you end up with?

Jo replacement controller should be easy enough to get as the previous one was just a £20 generic e-bay one

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal