Author Topic: Building a Redwing  (Read 12947 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Building a Redwing
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2023, 11:45:37 AM »
The on going brain fog means I cannot even think straight for long enough to work out the stages needed to machine a simple part without becoming disorientated and needing to sit down and recover.

Jo

Dear Jo.

Sorry to read about your current condition. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I got the dreaded Covid last year and was fogged up for nearly 6 weeks in total. Literally everything “ went to the dogs “

Hopefully you’ll recover soon and now the weather is bucking up be back “ out there “

:cheers:  Graham.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2023, 11:54:27 AM »
The on going brain fog means I cannot even think straight for long enough to work out the stages needed to machine a simple part without becoming disorientated and needing to sit down and recover.

I'm so sorry to hear this Jo - I thought that you where slowly recovering - but it sounds like this is not the case  :'(

Per

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2023, 03:42:35 PM »
Thanks Graham and Per  :) ,

I even find reading (the forum) a bit of a challenge . Thankfully things like my cross stitch can be done with little concentration unlike my embroidery which can be a real challenge, especially the hardanger  :Doh: Knitting socks is easy, as is cleaning/polishing my new car :mischief:

Back to Colin's build: Has the printer finished yet?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2023, 06:47:18 PM »
Hope you can get back to it soon Jo

Colin is away for a few days so we will all have to wait to see how the print turned out.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2023, 10:07:59 PM »
It has printed out very well but picture size is too large to post. Need to resize, but need an app which will work on phone. Can anybody me recommend an app to work on iPhone.
Colin

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2023, 01:45:40 AM »
Hi Colin, great progress and an interesting engine to build.

No special Ap needed on iPhone, have the photo in your photos library, tap the “Add attachments” button and select “from library”, then the one you want.  A preview will appear with the word Use at the bottom.  Tap Use and you will be offered four options of different sizes.  Around 500 k works well, but for very fine detail, the largest one under about 900 k may be required.  I know the forum limit is 1 Mb, but there seems to be some overhead not in the displayed figure in iPhone, so a margin is a good idea.  But for most photos, 400 or 500 k is quite adequate.

It’s not difficult to edit you post, remove the attachment, and try again if you don’t like the result.

Hope that helps,

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2023, 07:10:25 AM »
Or e-mail it to me and I'll post it here

Could also upload to ME

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2023, 08:16:45 AM »
Flywheel pictures.

And just for interest a picture of a large boiler used on steam winch for Maid of the Loch (Loch Lomond).

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2023, 08:52:41 AM »
That looks to have printed quite well, should not need too much clean up to get a smooth surface. What percentage fill did you use?

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2023, 09:29:23 AM »
I just let the software take its defaults. I will have a look when get back.

The picture below will give some idea.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2023, 11:22:48 AM »
A stunning result guys, well done.   :ThumbsUp:

I used to spend hours with body filler, specially shaped spreaders  ( made from broken hacksaw blades ) to produce the filleting between spoke and rim. Then many more were spent with various grades of sandpaper to finish.

That pattern could almost be used as is….

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2023, 04:52:53 PM »
Prusa Slicer's default infill is usually 15%, so that would be my guess for infill.

Kim

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2023, 07:53:57 PM »
I actually enjoy the process of traditional wooden pattern making. Its all part of the challenge of creating the model or the machine that I'm building. When I was doing my Stuart 600 gas engine replica, the cylinder block had 5 separate interlocking cores.. The foundry gave it to their apprentice moulder as a final year project, and a very good job he made of it too, although I was later told that it took 3 goes to get an acceptable casting.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2023, 11:33:04 AM »
Second half printed overnight

Looks pretty good

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2023, 12:08:21 PM »
Those patterns look great Colin.  :ThumbsUp:

You will now need to drill and fit a couple of “ register “ pins, a handy hint is to offset them so that they only pair up in one position. This wouldn’t need to be done if you were “ plating “ but is definitely handy for loose moulding.

A central hole on the inside of each boss will aid the moulder to remove the pattern from the sand. I wouldn’t bother tapping it, they seem to use these modern “ twin grip “ screws, the head welded to a tee bar.

Remembering the delays I encountered for my flywheels, I can pass on the details of my Iron foundry if you wish? They’re based in Dudley.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal