Author Topic: Jones and Shipman Sine Vice  (Read 1251 times)

Online Twizseven

Jones and Shipman Sine Vice
« on: November 07, 2022, 10:49:20 PM »
I have a Jones and Shipman Sine Vice. Looking at it it appears that the vice assembly is held to the upper pivoting section of the vice by 6 recessed allen bolts. The vice assembly would appear to be keyed to the pivot section. I am wondering whether the vice assembly can be removed so that I could use the sine assembly on its own with a jig plate fitted to it. If I remove the vice assembly will it still just bolt back on and keep its accuracy. I do not want to dismantle it if it will not reassemble accurately. Has anyone ever done this or know whether it can be done.

Thank you.

Colin

Online Twizseven

Re: Jones and Shipman Sine Vice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 04:54:09 PM »
It appears my mate has the same sine vice. He was happy to dismantle it. Two allen bolts hold the fixed jaw in place and this has a shallow key running across the width of the jaw. The main vice plate is held down by 4 pairs of allen bolts and when these are undone and removed the vice plate can be lifted off the upper moving section of the sine assembly. The vice assembly is located by a wide machined key running the full length of the vice. Slides in nicely without any play.

So the answer to my question is yes it can be dismantled and easily put together, the two keys should ensure accurate registration of the main body and the fixed jaw.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal