Author Topic: Myford Rack and pinion Tailstock  (Read 1223 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Myford Rack and pinion Tailstock
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 07:27:27 AM »
There are also a few designs for lever operated ones which may be better for peck drilling small holes

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 02:30:10 PM »
Hi , I do have one of these ...but....I bought it because the original set up with the bronze bearing had worn out and I could not source another one whilst Myfords had stopped trading . ..So...I bought the  rack and pinion  one to still be able to use it . I think the bronze bush was a two or three start thread ?? Also what does  "NON POWER" mean on this lathe???

Willy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 02:51:59 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline Del_61

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 03:23:36 PM »
Hi "non power" means that the cross slide is manual feed only. I.e. this version of the Myford lathe does not have powered cross feed option.

I have a circa 1963 Myford super 7 that does not have auto cross feed, I have worked on many lathes that did have it, but I dont miss it on the Myford.

I think the powered cross slide version was introduced by Myfords on their series 7 lathes in the 1970's.

I expect someone on here will tell you the exact year !

I don't think it is possible to convert from manual to powered cross slide without paying a lot....I think it involves a new carriage assembly ...

Hope that helps !

Best wishes

Derek

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 04:49:39 PM »
I've wanted one for years...but I'd like to get a complete tailstock to use with it so it would be easy to swap back and forth.

How does this compare to the one Cowells sold?

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 02:11:19 AM »
Hi , I do have one of these ...but....I bought it because the original set up with the bronze bearing had worn out and I could not source another one whilst Myfords had stopped trading . ..So...I bought the  rack and pinion  one to still be able to use it . I think the bronze bush was a two or three start thread ?? Also what does  "NON POWER" mean on this lathe???

Willy

How do you like the rack and pinion?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 08:43:12 AM »
My Myford Super 7 bought new in 1976 was one of the first to have the power cross-feed, I think it dates from about the previous year.  I must admit that I have not often used the facility of it, if the 'box is set up for screwcutting then I can't be bothered to flip the two stage gear over and put it to a fine feed just for a bit of facing off!, though for larger diameter work it is worth having.  Also for the, now probably few, who use the lathe for milling operations and are back and forth a lot on the cross slide.  I would say that it was not worth having a PCF unless the Myford has a screwcutting gearbox for that convenience.
  The normal tailstock on the S7 is quite a nice piece of equipment, the multi start thread I have found to give good power and adequate sensitivity, and speed of use, and I've not hankered for a rack or lever feed:  also of course it has the self eject help.   Dave

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »
On my Super 7 I have a Cowells Capstan feed unit which is fitted to a spare ML7 tailstock. It is super quick just to swap the tailstock over as required.

I use it mainly for thread cutting with a small Coventry die head.

Phil

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:59:32 PM by pgp001 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
On my Super 7 I have a Cowells Capstan feed unit which is fitted to a spare ML7 tailstock. It is super quick just to swap the tailstock over as required.

I use it mainly for thread cutting with a small Coventry die head.

Phil

Thanks for responding Phil!   I'm intrigued by the opportunity to create something like this for the Southbend,  which although different, the overall layout and design is quite similar.    It would give me the opportunity to add to the tailstock stroke.   On the SB, it's about 2"   and with this design, I could make a new spindle that is 4" travel with little problem, which is nice for drilling deep holes....

Additionally, it would be easy to put a dial indicator or gage block stop on the back of the spindle at the depth collar.
Damned ijjit!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.

This is the second Cowells capstan attachment I have owned, I stupidly let the first one go when I sold my original ML7.
It took me a good few years before I managed to find this one for the Super 7.

Phil

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »
 It seem it only provides the rack for the tail stock and tail stock not included. PLEASE NOTE - THIS ITEM DOES NOT INCLUDE THE TAILSTOCK BODY IN THE PICTURE, JUST THE RACK OPERATED ATTACHMENT TO USE IN CONJUNCTION WITH YOUR EXISTING TAILSTOCK

Regards Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »
Well   for a SouthBend NONE of this will bolt on.    It's the concept I'm after Don.   The engineering will need to be done by me including making all the parts, most of which are custom to my SouthBend.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »
I've always fancied one. A decade or so ago I made a lever feed for my Praizmat lathe and I keep thinking I should make another lever feed tailstock assembly this time for Mr Silky. The lever feed works well with the Coventry die heads.

Schoey has a lever feed tailstock  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 03:48:29 PM »
Yeah this would be a custom thing for me.  My quil is 1.068" OD....so a oversize to standard SB, but it would be easy enough to turn a quill to fit, add a MT2 taper.   It would need to be drilled for a knock out bar as I would lose the ability to back the MT tools out in a normal fashion.   I assume that is what the Myford people do?

All in all, it's enticing!....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »

Willy

How do you like the rack and pinion?

Hi It is very well made and I only used it for a short while ,whilst waiting for the new bronze nut to arrive ...I Still have it and have not had to use it since ?!!

Willy

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal