Author Topic: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine  (Read 33661 times)

Offline simplyloco

Re: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2023, 03:56:36 PM »
Hi Kim. I find a very small diameter cutter at high speed much easier to handle. Big cutters tend to dig in ... :old:

I finished the straps today. Hooray! That's one job I'm glad to see the back of!
However, I will have to do some 'cosmetic fettling' on a few shoulders, and hide the scruffy ones in the machine somewhere...
I bought two new varieties of cap screw recently. The top row are low head conventional capscrews, with nice polished heads, which I like, the remainder are ultra low profile gizmos, which don't look quite right!

What would I do without my FB2?  BTW, those new parallels allowed me to position the pieces exactly where I wanted them for maximum holding power.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 05:44:31 PM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #301 on: May 29, 2023, 09:27:17 PM »
Getting there!

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #302 on: May 29, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
Beautiful pile of parts!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2023, 05:26:52 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2023, 10:14:17 AM »
This Bolton Triple video appeared on the Stuart Models Facebook group. It looks amazing. Mind you, as yet there are no steam connections or a reversing wormwheel.

https://www.facebook.com/100073640405585/videos/282792174132030/

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #305 on: June 05, 2023, 10:19:08 AM »
It's a far eastern ready to run triple not a Bolton. That guy has been spamming several Facebook pages. All done on a CNC
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:35:49 AM by Jasonb »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #306 on: June 05, 2023, 10:20:50 AM »
It certainly looks like the Bolton that I'm building. I wonder how much it costs?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #307 on: June 05, 2023, 10:38:58 AM »
Thats the thing when plans are available on the net, they get used as they possibly should not.

I'm not sure if that one is or will be available as I think I was it may be a limited commission. Have a look at the likes of Sterlingkit.com or Enginediy.com or search kacio steam engines. They also do their versions of the popular ic engines like the Whippet and Kittihawk and many others

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #308 on: June 05, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
It's a far eastern ready to run triple not a Bolton. That guy has been spamming several Facebook pages. All done on a CNC

That is a somewhat curious comment.

I have a genuine set of M1 drawings from Reeves and a genuine set of ME issues containing all the changes made by Bertinat. However I used CNC and I did not use any castings.

Does that mean I am not allowed to call my model a "Bolton triple?"   :headscratch:

Gene

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #309 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:46 PM »
Maybe I should have said not a Bolton FROM CASTINGS

My second posts hints that the design is based on the freely downloadable Bertinat articles.

They have also made as ha handed pair

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #310 on: June 05, 2023, 10:49:22 PM »
12 Bearing Blocks!
These are made from sq brass or bronze. However, the designer specified 3/8x5/16 everywhere, so the 3/8 sq bar has to be machined one side, thus making every subsequent operation bloody awkward! Why he couldn't leave the bearings square is beyond me!
Some pics.

Set up in the 4 jaw, drill, ream and part off to size. I use a new carbide GTN2 tip for this operation, using the DRO to set the parting points.

I have to 'waist' the blocks to provided much needed clearance. I'll do that after drilling the 10BA clearance holes.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #311 on: June 05, 2023, 11:13:31 PM »
That linkage design looks just like the one I am making for the Ohio engine - maybe I'll stall around with other things till you make the Die Blocks, and copy how you do it!   :embarassed:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2023, 07:46:09 PM »
Fed up to the teeth with tiny parts: here's the expansion link fixture!

All the bits needed plus I have to make the six link bodies.

The fixture is 1/4" plate, and it will sit on the rotary table mounted on a 2MT adaptor to position it correctly.

I found some 3/32" Ground Flat Stock which will make a really sweet link!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:30:45 PM by simplyloco »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #313 on: June 09, 2023, 07:58:06 PM »
Excellent.    :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2023, 06:07:17 PM »
Cracked on with the expansion links this afternoon. Then it rained, so I had to go out into the garden and do a war dance, thanking the Gods!

Sawing off 6+1 to length.

I drew this up to find the exact dimensions of the blanks, and also the relative distances of the holes from the top of the link. Drilled using DRO co-ordinates.

Just a tryout prior to machining. It looks OK!

Seven blanks ready for machining, two at a time. I put the 1.6mm dowels in to ensure pairing accuracay!

This is where we mean business! I can't fing the 10mm collet, so I've had to use a nose radius cutter, hence the grrove.

It's really good to have the proper kit!

Second Op.

Unpolished Link, and  I'm very happy with it. Just two more to go :whoohoo:
I can't think why I made the spacers 1/4" OD when they should be 3/16"... :facepalm:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 08:52:58 PM by simplyloco »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal