Author Topic: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine  (Read 33655 times)

Offline simplyloco

Re: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2022, 02:34:12 PM »
Connecting the ports

I used some masking tape with pencil lines on to align the drill. Angles were 25,27,30 and 35. It was remarkably easy!
Only five more to do...

Even so, I bet there was a sigh of relief when you finished the first set.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, you are quite correct! :praise2:
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2022, 07:04:20 PM »
Excellent work on the angled ports  :praise2: I know how tricky that is have made a two stroke engine cylinder  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2022, 08:26:24 PM »
More port drilling!

I've completed the porting on the main casting, but I have yet to do the High Pressure cylinder. I used a hemispherical cutter for the IP cylinder ports. It produced a nicer -aerodynamic?- profile, and the shape enabled me to do without a centre drill as the bit just nestled nicely into the concave surface.

Same setup as before, although I did without the masking tape and relied on the engineers layout fluid.

A much nicer result methinks!

Getting there!

I haven't used this high temp seal before, but I am going to use it to replace the myriads of gaskets on this beast. I've tried it on the two pieces of steel shown, and it is like a very thick superglue! I left the joint overnight and it was sound, but came apart easily when persuaded!

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2022, 08:35:26 PM »
Great job on the drilling, doing angled holes for the ports is always a nervous thing!

For the gasket stuff, when you pulled the joint apart on the test piece, what did it leave behind on the metal? Was it easy to clean off again (I assume that once the parts are separated that the sealant needs to be re-applied fresh) ?
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »
Great job on the drilling, doing angled holes for the ports is always a nervous thing!

For the gasket stuff, when you pulled the joint apart on the test piece, what did it leave behind on the metal? Was it easy to clean off again (I assume that once the parts are separated that the sealant needs to be re-applied fresh) ?
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

It left behind an orange residue, not unlike a very thin plastic gasket! I scraped it off easily to leave a clean surface.
It shows great promise for this application! :praise2:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2022, 08:52:31 PM »
Nice job on those ports. That hemispherical cutter seems to give you a better start for the port drilling; but I am surprised you still did not use a centre or spotting drill.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2022, 06:20:04 PM »
I completed the drilling on the HP cylinder today. I've been 'improving' the Cowells lathe and got distracted by this QCTP I was making!

Here's the Mickey Mouse clamps on the HP cylinder. They didn't move!

Some exhaust port drilling to do, and the valve chests are next.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:29:13 AM by simplyloco »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2022, 10:44:54 PM »
Hi , When you drilled the angled holes for the ports ,did you have to change the angle for the end side holes to engage with the port slots ? or is there enough "meat" in the casting to ensure they meet up ?? just wondering  !Hi just read back through the text and seen that you had thought this through !!!
thanks
willy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:50:37 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2022, 12:27:54 AM »
Hi , When you drilled the angled holes for the ports ,did you have to change the angle for the end side holes to engage with the port slots ? or is there enough "meat" in the casting to ensure they meet up ?? just wondering  !Hi just read back through the text and seen that you had thought this through !!!
thanks
willy

HI Willy. Yes, I changed the angle, by testing each event, but it was only about two degrees. It makes a huge difference to the final result!
John

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2022, 02:37:32 AM »
Hi John , On some of my engines I have made perspex maquettes and this helps to see where things like ports and other dimensions will work !! here are a few ...

Willy

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2022, 09:37:35 AM »
Those are amazing, but I'm just too lazy to go to that trouble. Perhaps I've been lucky in the past!
John

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »
The Cross Drilled Exhaust Ports
I'd forgotten about these! Very very important if I want the thing to work!
There are two exhaust ports in the main body, and this is a straightforward drill/tap exercise. I don't have the specified 26tpi taps, but 32tpi will be quite adequate for my needs!

The HP cylinder is connected to the main body by bolts, and these two recesses alow one to get one's nuts tight...

The exhaust (in the centre) ports have to be connected to the outside by another daft and dangerous cross drilling exercise!

The two 3/16" holes in the HP cylinder face go right through the body and connect to a cross drilling, which in turn connects to the exhaust port. Got that? 🙂

That thread in the HP cylinder is at both ends of the cross drilling, and will be sealed with a 7/32" plug.

You can see the port connections here. Two in the HP exhaust and one in the IP port. Clever stuff!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:45:16 PM by simplyloco »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 05:59:54 PM »
Hello John,

Cross drilling those exhaust ports by hand. Scary stuff.    :zap:    But you got it done and it looks very good.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »
Hello John,

Cross drilling those exhaust ports by hand. Scary stuff.    :zap:    But you got it done and it looks very good.

Mike

Thanks Mike. By my reckoning that's the hardest part of the beast completed: plain sailing from now on! :LittleAngel:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:24:14 PM by simplyloco »

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2022, 09:01:58 PM »
And in GM to boot . . . that is very scary! 
Cheers,
Harry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal