Author Topic: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine  (Read 34430 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: My A J Reeves Bolton Triple Expansion Engine
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »
More nice looking castings!

Question: why can't the HP bore be done till its bolted up?  :headscratch:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 05:16:48 PM »
More nice looking castings!

Question: why can't the HP bore be done till its bolted up?  :headscratch:

My thoughts too, if accurately positioned. The 'received wisdom' suggests otherwise, but the 'Centre Find' on the DRO is your friend so I'll probably give it a go.
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 06:28:30 PM »
I suppose it's a bit hard to know exactly how any gasket material may compress down until you get some bolts in and tighten them up.

It could still be done now provided you took cylinder ctrs measurements of the finished assembly and used those when setting out the crank, bed plate etc unless there is some allowance for endways variations such as a big end bearing being narrower than it's crank pin.

They do look good castings and seem to be consistent with what they have been showing on FB

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2022, 09:49:16 PM »
A few images that might appeal to newcomers to ME!

More on Valve Chests
The four jaw chuck is today a much ignored asset in the face of cheap Chinese vertical miiling machines. However, in the right hands it is a versatile asset, and here is an example of this work.
More tomorrow.

A lot of folk would centre drill each end of this piece, hang it between centres, and bolt it to an angle plate bolted onto a faceplate. However, even though it looks dangerous, it's much easier to attach some shims to the work, and, using using the wobbler pin in a centre punched hole, set the jub to run true. THEN centre drill it to add support for the facing and turning ops.

Facing off using my tangential lathe tool, which doesn't get used much these days...

Drilling right through to the tail support.

I would have tapped it 5/16 x 32 but I lent the tap to a friend...

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
More on Valve Chests

I've been busy today. All three valve chests finished to size. It's looking the part already, provided you don't look too closely...  :cheers:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2022, 05:43:21 PM »
Main Cylinder Ports

I only did one end this afternoon as it was too nerve wracking for an old timer like me! I've got the measure of it now so there will be more tomorrow.
By the way I've stopped using the rubbish phone camera: these are done with my SONY Cybershot and the difference in clarity, especially closeups, is remarkable. Here's a few pics.

From 'ere:

To 'ere:

To 'ere! More tomorrow.
Jb

Offline Admiral_dk

• Sψften - Denmark
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »
Great looking pictures and Parts  :ThumbsUp:

Love the surfaces on those castings after you have worked on them - looks like good quality Castings  :cheers:

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2022, 08:14:55 PM »
Great looking parts (and pictures)
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2022, 04:06:56 PM »
Drilling the ports

I finished the three sets of ports, and they are quite OK. I made start on the drilling by setting up the rotary table to machine the annular section. That was easy enough, but I stopped when I realised that every hole drilled from there into a port has to be at a different angle to the previous one, which might prove to be problematical! Unless I have misread the drawing that is...
While I'm thinking about it here's some more pics.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 04:12:47 PM by simplyloco »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2022, 05:01:14 PM »
Bit of trig or CAD these days will soon give you the various angles so they all meet the slots in a straight line.

Had similar on my Fowler.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:02 PM »
Thanks for that Jason. I had thought about that solution but that's as far as my brain got!
I have six to do...

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
I realised that every hole drilled from there into a port has to be at a different angle to the previous one, which might prove to be problematical! Unless I have misread the drawing that is...

I think you have read the print correctly. However, there is no requirement that the landing positions in the ports need to be in a straight line. As long as they do not break out from the valve face or remain too close to the cylinder bore they can land in an arc shape.

I made this engine some years ago, and I believe that is what I did.

Gene

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2022, 05:19:39 PM »
I think you have read the print correctly. However, there is no requirement that the landing positions in the ports need to be in a straight line. As long as they do not break out from the valve face or remain too close to the cylinder bore they can land in an arc shape.

I made this engine some years ago, and I believe that is what I did.

Gene

Thanks Gene. I reckon I can get away with perhaps three drilling angles,we will see...

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
Connecting the ports

I used some masking tape with pencil lines on to align the drill. Angles were 25,27,30 and 35. It was remarkably easy!
Only five more to do...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8nhQMkwog" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8nhQMkwog</a>

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 02:15:16 PM by simplyloco »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2022, 02:26:48 PM »
Connecting the ports

I used some masking tape with pencil lines on to align the drill. Angles were 25,27,30 and 35. It was remarkably easy!
Only five more to do...

Even so, I bet there was a sigh of relief when you finished the first set.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal