Author Topic: Merry Christmas to me!  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Merry Christmas to me!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »
Water-soluble filaments where one of the reasons why I wanted a MMU2S too  :)
But I have discovered that rather many things can be printet without them - it just takes longer time to plan yourself around difficulties ....

I have been working on an automatic MC Chain-Oiler System for quite some time - or should I say ; the Reservoir with Intergrated holder for the Pump and mounting to the Bike. Internal re-inforcements are made in such a way that they also are supports (Bridges) that help me 'Print in Free Air'  ;D
Another thing is always to 'Heed 450' if I try to have no support at all ....

This project is also why I mentioned Stringing - as I in all other ways finally had a complete and working version in the last Print - only to discover that one of the internal Oil-Channels are 'partly blocked' and the only difference between the previous version that didn't have that problem (but others) and this - is the latest Slicer 2.5 and it has a tendency to create a lot of very fine Strings, when it 'Jumps' from one segment to the next. I have thought abouth selecting the previous algorithm in Slicer 2.5 and see if all the is well ....  :noidea:

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2022, 11:56:06 AM »
The stringing is usually a function of which plastic you are using, nozzle size, and temperature. Are you using the presets in the slicer for the filament type and nozzle size you have? I rarely get any with the PLA, other plastics are known for that problem when bridging gaps. Also, do you have supports turned on? If not, and its trying to span a horizontal gap, there is nothing to support the span and it sags down.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2022, 06:04:50 PM »
I always used to get stringing.

You might want to check your retraction settings in your slicer.  I always felt the default retraction distances were a little too conservative, especially if you have a Bowden drive extruder.  On my direct drive extruder, I can get by with a retraction distance of 2-5mm.  On my Bowden drive I bump that up to 10-12mm.  You might also want to check when it will retract, some slicers give you the option to decide when retraction is required.  Less retractions mean a faster print since it does take a small amount of time to retract the filament each time it stops printing, then extend it again before starting printing.  I don't mind a longer print time if it means no stringing.  I've checked the estimated print times and increasing the retraction distance usually only adds a few minutes to a print time of several hours.

Also check to see if your slicer has a "wiping" setting, if it does then be sure it's enabled.  This will move the nozzle back over the print to break any string that may be forming.

Don

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »
Just to be Clear - I had a perfect Oil-Line when Printed in Prusa Slicer 2.2x 2.3x 2.4x but Not in 2.5 and they are all Printed with Default settings, for and with Prusa PLA Filament.
Like the rest of you (that don't have a Bowden Extruder) - I almost never experinced Stringing with PLA for 3 years. BUT after the (otherwise great Improvement) - I have lots of (thinner that hair) Strings with 2.5 ...

Slicer 2.5's Great Improvement (Seriously it is) - is based on an adaptive and Dynamic change of a host of Settings for Every Single detail on Every Layer, in order to optimize print quality, Speed (time) and Filament use + apperance, strength etc. ...!!!.... and as mentioned - It does work really well (it was Invented by Cura).
One of the ways it does so, is by continuesly adjust the Filament Feed during print - to a whole new Level of complexity  :insane:

I agree, that it has to do with the Filament Feed, now having a very tiny amount off 'Slightly too Late Stop' - before any G0 Move (between print) .... I usually do not bother with changing the Default Settings (as it can take God knows how many attempts to get right) ....

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 05:09:54 AM »
I'm certainly sticking with the default settings in the slicer for the moment.  It scares me to think of making changes to any of those options that show up in "Advanced" or "Expert"!  I can barely handle the "Simple" interface as it is!

I do notice a bit of stringiness, but I have no previous experience to compare it to.  All I've ever known is the latest 2.5 slicer.  For about for days!  :ROFL:  I've got quite the learning journey ahead of me!

But today I printed my first items in PETG.  That's kind of an interesting material.  Not as forgiving as PLA, but it sure looks nice!

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 12:35:04 AM »
Well, I've spent many weeks playing with my new 3D printer!  And what fun!  :cartwheel:

I had no idea I’d spend this much time bonding with my new toy, but I did!  I’ve printed piles of trinkets and dozens of fidgets.  But a few of the more serious things I’ve done (that aren’t relegated to the Top Secret file) are some 200:1 scale launch vehicles.

When I saw these on Printables.com I just knew I had to make them!  I’ve always been fascinated with the Saturn V rocket used in the Apollo missions.  I remember watching those on our black-and-white TV.  I even got to stay up past my bedtime to watch the moon landing!  I was so excited!  (I was only 7 at the time).

Anyway, with that intro, here’s a picture of some of my work.  On the left is the Saturn V used in Apollo 11 and following moon missions. In the center is the Saturn 1B, used in the Apollo 7 mission and a few others (ones that didn’t go to the moon).  The last one is the Space Launch System Block 1 configuration.  This is the launch vehicle that was used 2 weeks ago to launch Artemis to the moon!  While it doesn’t hold the same spot in my heart as the Saturn launch vehicles, it’s pretty cool!

If  you’re interested, you can find these models on Printables.com here:
Saturn 1B
Saturn V
SLS Block 1

The guy who designed them, KmoBrain, has STL files for many other launch vehicles, all at 200:1 scale, which is pretty cool. click here to see his other modesl

I plan to build the Space Shuttle and Falcon 9, possibly others.  I haven’t found a good Mercury Redstone yet. If don’t find one I may design my own.

For now, I’m going to switch my attention back to my Pennsy and see if I can make some progress there!

But this has been a super fun diversion for me.  What a fun rabbit hole to fall into!
Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 01:49:03 AM »
Those are very cool, Kim. Have you been to the Evergreen Air&Space museum in McMinnville? They don't have any Saturn rockets, but they do have a Titan II, which was the Gemini launch vehicle. Lot's of other interesting stuff as well.
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 01:52:00 AM »
Those are spectacular!  I remember as a kid, when Apollo program was going on, I built a plastic model (Revell?) of the Saturn 5 rocket. Back then if you wrote to NASA they would send you all sorts of pictures and brochures of the Apollo program, patches, all that sort of thing. Great fun!

When I visited the Dayton Air Museum (run by the Air Force) they had a Gemini capsule - was amazed how tiny it was! They really meant Spam In A Can, the astronauts were stuffed in pretty tight.

Very interesting to see the rockets side by side for comparison.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 02:17:36 AM »
Ron,
Yes, I've been to the Evergreen Air Museum.  But it was ONLY an Air the last time I went.  They hadn't opened the Space part yet (it was under construction). I'll have to get back there sometime and see the space section!

Chris,
I've been to the Dayton Air Museum!  That's quite the place! So HUGE!  So much stuff it was almost mind-numbing.

I've also been to the Kennedy space center and seen the Saturn V laying on its side, all separated into stages so you can see the engines and everything.  Visiting Kennedy space center was a spiritual experience for me!

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 03:33:15 AM »
This one is also worth a visit, should you ever make it to Alamagordo.
https://www.nmspacemuseum.org/

We were just there last month.
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2022, 03:44:01 AM »
Ron,
Yes, I've been to the Evergreen Air Museum.  But it was ONLY an Air the last time I went.  They hadn't opened the Space part yet (it was under construction). I'll have to get back there sometime and see the space section!

Chris,
I've been to the Dayton Air Museum!  That's quite the place! So HUGE!  So much stuff it was almost mind-numbing.

I've also been to the Kennedy space center and seen the Saturn V laying on its side, all separated into stages so you can see the engines and everything.  Visiting Kennedy space center was a spiritual experience for me!

Kim
I last went to the Dayton museum a few years ago, after they finished building the fourth hanger. The hangers are enormous  - hanger 4 has a B52, a 747, space shuttle mockup, and a Valkerie (among hundreds of other planes), and you can't see more than one at a time since they get lost in the distance! Spent a whole day there, and saw 3-1/2 of the hangers, need to go back and see the rest of the last one. Maybe next year on my way to Indianapolis...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2022, 04:02:09 AM »
I last went to the Dayton museum a few years ago, after they finished building the fourth hanger. The hangers are enormous  - hanger 4 has a B52, a 747, space shuttle mockup, and a Valkerie (among hundreds of other planes), and you can't see more than one at a time since they get lost in the distance! Spent a whole day there, and saw 3-1/2 of the hangers, need to go back and see the rest of the last one. Maybe next year on my way to Indianapolis...

Yeah, when I was there they had the fourth hangar.  It took my son and I all day to go through it!  That place is massive.  And I do remember seeing the space shuttle mock-up and the B52 and all.  Quite the place for sure.

This one is also worth a visit, should you ever make it to Alamagordo.
https://www.nmspacemuseum.org/

We were just there last month.
I don't often make it down to New Mexico, but next time I do, I'll make it a point to see it!  Looks impressive  :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 04:44:28 PM »
Earlier I'd mentioned that I had printed some stuff that was to be Christmas gifts, so wouldn't show those here. But, now that Christmas has passed, and the gifts have been given, there is no longer a surprise to spoil.  So I can share a few more things that I printed during my hiatus from my Pennsy build.

This is a print-in-place egg, that is hinged at the bottom and opens up:

To reveal this cool F-14 fighter jet!  I made a little one (about 1 ¼” long (30mm)) and a bigger version (3x larger, almost 4” long (100mm)).  The F14s are also print-in-place and the wings are internally geared so that as you swivel them out, they move out together.  I found that really cool!

This is a full-sized human skull.  The model was actually scanned from a real human skull, so it’s anatomically correct.  A Christmas present you ask in horror?  Well, I have a daughter who’s really into this kind of thing, and I can tell you, it was a real hit with her! :)   And it is actually quite cool.

This is a large (about 12” tall) statue of Mando and baby Yoda (or more properly, Grogu) from the Mandalorian.  Also, quite a hit with its recipient.

Anyway, Just wanted to share some of the things I printed. The skull is the longest print I’ve done so far – it printed in 2 parts, the lower jaw and everything else. The large part (everything else) took about 72 hours to print!  But it came out beautifully!

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2022, 05:43:52 PM »
Cooool Prints Kim  :ThumbsUp:

How did you do the two colored 'Baby' - was that a manual change of Filament Colors during Print ?

.... or have you got an MMU2S in the meantime  ;D

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 04:09:25 AM »
How did you do the two colored 'Baby' - was that a manual change of Filament Colors during Print ?

.... or have you got an MMU2S in the meantime  ;D

No, I haven't gotten an MMU2S... yet anyway...

The baby Yoda head was a separate part, so I printed it in green. The hands were just a part of the hover cradle thing.  But I wanted the hands to be green too, so I spent a few days learning MeshMixer so I could cut the hands out of the hover cradle and make them independent parts. That way they could be printed in green and glued in later.  That was quite a challenge for my first MeshMixer project, but it worked out pretty well :)

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal