Author Topic: soldering clay  (Read 1261 times)

Offline tghs

soldering clay
« on: December 30, 2022, 12:56:39 PM »
been watching vids of this stuff,, looks like it could come in very handy, some how youtube links do not seem to be taking, it's somewhat reusable, will protect areas you do not to heat, should work very well in positioning odd parts..
what the @#&% over

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: soldering clay
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
Sounds very interesting!   Can you post a link to the either the video or the product?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:35:48 PM »
Never heard of it before, links would be great!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 01:58:20 PM »
Thanks for that!
Very interesting!    I'll probably try it and see.   I love the description and cautions.

Hold-It! The Moldable Third Arm Solder Positioning Clay by Renee Ford Metals The magic clay that holds your small parts while soldering silver and karat golds. Difficult soldering set ups become a dream with using this clay. It will stay in its molded form and provide some heat protection from delicate soldered areas. It is NOT a heat shield to protect stones. While it will not disintegrate, it will get burnt slightly from direct flame. This is reusable for up to 2 or 3 times with reconstituting in warm water. After it cools and the piece is cool, it breaks off and any tiny bits left can be washed off with soap and water with a toothbrush. The still soft bits can be reused back in the jar. Dried out pieces can be saved to reconstitute later. NOT FOR USE WITH PLATINUM OR PLATINUM GROUP METALS—— Platinum group metals don't like carbon and this produces carbon. (Platinum, Palladium, karat golds with Palladium or Platinum, Rhodium or Iridium.) Does not contain asbestos or other harmful additives. Contains aluminum oxide, silica and water. It does burn with prolonged intense heat and produces carbon. 8oz jar with approximately 6oz of clay. Made in USA PLEASE NOTE: Jar must be kept closed TIGHTLY with inner SEAL intact. Do not throw away self sealing lid liner. It needs to stay closed when not in use to keep the clay from drying out. The clay is EARTH made so natural microbes exist in the clay. A mildew smell or minor molding may occur because of the moisture content and a natural ingredient base.

Makes me wonder what NATURAL material it was made with   :ROFL:
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 03:20:30 PM »

Makes me wonder what NATURAL material it was made with   :ROFL:
I am hoping it takes LOTS of ground up telemarketer!   :LittleDevil:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 03:29:49 PM »
Just watched the video on the page you linked to - looks great for holding very small parts in place, not sure if it would be good for larger pieces where a larger torch and a lot more heating would be needed. She doesn't mention about it protecting other areas from the heat, just for positioning. Interesting stuff!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 05:25:03 PM »
Had to re-read this thread. Was thinking "well I can barely silver solder metals these days, I doubt I'd have any luck soldering clay....." DOH!    :facepalm2: :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 07:03:17 PM »
I saw this post yesterday and had to go look it up  (on Amazon of course :)).  Looks like it would be great for smaller parts.  I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm not doing the boiler!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »
Another product I picked up years ago are soldering boards, they are some sort of soft ceramic that are great for putting on the bench when using the little torch, they block the flame from the bench and other stuff on it (I set up one flat on the bench, the other standing vertically as a backstop), plus you can stick pins in it to hold little parts. They come in solid and honeycomb versions - just search for 'soldering boards'. Another product from the jewelry making world.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 09:49:32 PM »
I saw this post yesterday and had to go look it up  (on Amazon of course :)).  Looks like it would be great for smaller parts.  I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm not doing the boiler!

Kim

Yeah I'm wondering how it would hold up to my 1" Propane rosebud......   
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal