Author Topic: Bespoke heated and insulated cabinet for a resin 3D printer.  (Read 2948 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Bespoke heated and insulated cabinet for a resin 3D printer.
« on: October 20, 2022, 10:09:41 PM »
OK, I own up. It's not actually a cabinet, it's the cardboard box the wash and cure machine came in. But it is heated, with a 60 watt desk lamp. And the insulation consists of 2 travel rugs slung over the top and draped down the sides. but when the temp in the house was hovering around 60 ish yesterday and I didn't want the central heating on, the temp in the cabinet was 90 plus. I thought that was a bit high so I went shopping today for a 25 or 40 watt bulb, you remember, the old ones that got really hot. No luck. I could either have led or one of those fireglow bulbs, which was 60 watt.

If I can't get a lower wattage bulb I will have to introduce ventilation. An 'ole in it.

Lee

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Bespoke heated and insulated cabinet for a resin 3D printer.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 10:24:37 PM »
Rig up a thermostat to turn the light on and off?   :noidea:

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 10:47:39 PM »
Is there such a thermostat? I have a plug in timer that could switch the light on and off say every ten to fifteen minutes, but I thought that might damage the bulb.

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 10:57:51 PM »
I have searched the net and there are plug in thermostats available. They start at about £12 and go up in price, some even have a remote control. I have aslo seen a 40 watt electric heater from Toolstation.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 01:32:16 AM »
I made my box from foam core and have a 60 watt bulb(real bulb!) on a dimmer. I also have a scavenged fan from an old computer to circulate the air. Also a cheap thermometer so I look at the temp and adjust the dimmer. It seems to work. I actually bought a bunch of parts to automate it but I haven't got to that...for a couple years!

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 08:15:00 AM »
I like the idea of using foam for a box. I did try a 15 watt fridge bulb, it raised the temp by 3 degrees, but in a well insulated box it think it could do better.
Lee

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »
If you can get a 15W fridge bulb, why not use 3 of them?  Then you've of 45W of heat input in your box, you might even get more even heating by spreading them out.  Like PJPickard, use a standard off the shelf dimmer for control.  It won't be temperature regulated, and they aren't QUITE a dime a dozen - but they're close.  Or if you're so inclined, build yourself an Arduino controlled temperature regulation system - like this one. https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/MrRoboto19/electric-kiln-controller-f5c633 (I swiped the link from Fokerty.)  It's for a kiln, but that's kinda what you're building, just low temperature.

Don

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 03:43:50 PM »
A terrarium heater   :thinking:  .... various sorts .... an eg.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FRM3DHH/ref=emc_b_5_t

Comes with temp.  control.

Depends how much of your treasury contents you want to throw at it .

Dave

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
Please, its an environmental chamber, a bespoke environment chamber. :)

I just went through this, so might be able to save you time and heartache.   here's a reasonably cheap amazon solution that works perfectly.  It took several thermostat attempts to get one that works, but this one is accurate and works perfectly.  East to set high and low.  Foam board with duct tape, done so it folds flat for storing.  You are running perfectly for less than 100 dollarettes with no futzing about or anything to build and I think, fairly safe.

I may make some clips to ensure the top stays in place, so far have just put few pounds of steel on the top above the front piece.  (not reason it shouldn't stay in place, but it feels more solid this way).  There is a remote thermocoupler from the thermostat that sits inside the box.  I'm careful to place the heater with nothing too close to it.  I'll put the bottle of resin in and run it for a few hours before doing a print.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08XNW34G4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V6M4MSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 04:22:54 PM by Mcgyver »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 04:31:17 PM »
Add some nice windows and a small door, and its a bespoke shop-elf appartment!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 05:00:30 PM »
lol, its the old laundry room....as kids started leaving I moved the laundry to a bedroom on the 2nd floor.  Old dryer vent is my ventilation.  There are windows, but they're blacked out....can't have UV light about.   Its a messy and smelly enough operation that I put an effort to make a complete system so mess and smell are minimized and contained.

ah, ok, slow on uptake....windows in the chamber.  No shop elves here, enough trouble keeping it rodent free without extra issues :)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »
I use an old wardrobe, with a cheap fan heater.

The microwave oven is actually a uv exposure box

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 05:24:00 PM »
Strewth! I didn't expect so many replies to my little attempt at building a heated, "Environmental Chamber", thank you Mcgyver! I can see that I am going to have to take this seriously. The next few days will see me buying various bits and bobs to come up with a proper cabinet. I look forward to it.
Lee
P.S I should have thought of the three 15 watt bulbs idea. I hope They are still available. If not, I have some kanthal wire to make heating coils for my foundry. I could wind one at 40 watts or so. I like ALL the ideas!

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »

P.S I should have thought of the three 15 watt bulbs idea. I hope They are still available.

I think microwave and conventional oven lamps are around 15W and still filament types.

D.

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 10:26:52 PM »
Thanks Bluechip. I think mine was a spare for my fridge or microwave. I will get some more and the fittings for them.
Lee

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal