Author Topic: G. Thomas Versatile Dividing Head (Hemingway Kits)  (Read 10757 times)

Offline samc88

Re: G. Thomas Versatile Dividing Head (Hemingway Kits)
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2023, 12:12:51 PM »
The plans only have the plunger sleeve as having 2 flats but I wanted to do a hex as I feel it looks better so it was time to take out the collet block. Thus worked really well and am pleased with how it worked out, Ive never used the hex block until now. The trickier feature was the slot as it called for one to be 18⁰ from the first slot. I set up the part in the V groove in the vice with a square against one of the flats. Omce the first flat was done I used my protractor to set the required angle.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2023, 12:13:17 PM »
I like it!   Coming along nicely!    I have a similar sized and featured AMES dividing head that is super handy and it doesn't weigh a ton.    Watching along!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline samc88

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2023, 12:15:56 PM »
A nice quick part next was the acorn nut, the shape was done just by eye with a file and then was tapped 1/4 UNF. Thats the project so far, I might do some more this afternoon

Offline samc88

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2023, 12:17:10 PM »
I like it!   Coming along nicely!    I have a similar sized and featured AMES dividing head that is super handy and it doesn't weigh a ton.    Watching along!

Dave

Thanks Dave! I am really enjoying seeing it slowly building up. Very fun project so far

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »

Dave

Thanks Dave! I am really enjoying seeing it slowly building up. Very fun project so far

And useful/handy.   I can drop mine into my mill vise and I'm ready to cut a gear as soon as I have the right division plate on.    No mucking around with taking the vise off the table...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal