Supporting > Tooling & Machines

G. Thomas Versatile Dividing Head (Hemingway Kits)

(1/19) > >>

samc88:
A nice tooling project on the bench now, been looking into one for ages and got some jobs coming up in the future where I would benefit from one. The George Thomas design looks like it should fit my needs perfectly, especially with the micro attachment as well which allows practically any division. Not sure when Ill actually start this as want to sort other things out first but anyway heres some pics of what comes in the box. My first job was to sort through everything and label up the material in the kit and compare to the material list. I find it much easier to find the correct material when sifting through the box this way. The kit also has excellent drawings, Im also going to be working from the book "workshop techniques by G Thomas" which has good build notes in there.

Kim:
That looks like a fun (and potentially useful) project!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Don1966:
Great project and very useful tool. You will enjoy building it. I built this tool 9 years ago. There are riser plates that you can get from Hemingway and a swivel base. My built is here.. https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2031.msg31584.html#msg31584

There is also a micro attachment calculation sheet also used for the dividing head. https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4965.msg94796.html#msg94796

Regards Don

Chipswitheverything:
Very much agree with Don that the VDH is a great project and a most useful addition to tooling.  Have taken a look through Don's excellent build log, wh. I had not seen.  My own VDH was built before Don's, and am a bit ashamed to say it never got painted, I started to use it prematurely..! Also made the riser blocks and tailstock for mill use.  Though making the plates using the Micro attachment is an interesting exercise in itself, I must say that I have almost never needed anything but the head in its most basic configuration, the 24 holes on the main gear get one round the usual mundane requirements. But if you enjoy toolmaking anyway, it makes for satisfying work.  Unless there is a bit of clockmaking on the future projects list, which would exploit the more elaborate dividing very nicely ....    Dave

Del_61:
Hi, I agree its a very worthwhile addition to the workshop.

I built mine a few years ago including the riser plates. I also followed the "masters" instructions in his book "Dividing and Graduating" which is out of print but I understand is now incorporated into his book "workshop Techniques".

I made it exactly to his description including the parallel bore and split collets. It seems to work fine, I have seen others who have made the main spindle an internal MT2 instead. I cannot be bothered to make another main spindle with an MT2 !

Good luck with the project!

Regards

Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version