Author Topic: 3mm x .035 set screws, sources?  (Read 914 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
3mm x .035 set screws, sources?
« on: November 25, 2023, 07:29:47 PM »
Hi,

I've a bunch of little castings I made needing a 3mm set screw, say 3mm long.  I started tapping them .035 pitch as fine made sense given the size and thin wall around the boss that gets drilled/threaded.

Now I can't find 3M x .35 set screws!  Doh.   I can find machine screws at Mcmaster Carr, but not set screws and they'd look better with set screws.

Any suggestions?  If they are off the shelf for any of you, anyone able to mail me a pack of 100?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 3mm x .035 set screws, sources?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »
By "set screw" I assume you mean a bolt/screw with a thread all the way to under the head, i.e. no non threaded bit or shoulder under the head. What shaped head do you want?

Other than cap head, I normally make my own  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline petertha

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 09:16:06 PM »
From my searching, maybe as you are finding, its the the 0.35 pitch which appears to be quite uncommon for M3 set/grub screws. Lots of 0.5 pitch but that doesn't do your tapped holes much good. This supplier has quite a selection so maybe good to be aware of anyways. If you expose the left hand panel it shows different filter buttons, but I don't think pitch is showing up? Another thing I have found in the past is if it has an ISO number, sometimes that turns up more hits or at least more expedient search. Good luck. I don't envy you slotting or broaching an M3x0.35 bolt!

https://ghw-modellbau.de/3_s3

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 09:37:47 PM »
Jo, probably what you call a grub screw.

Peter, no fear, there will be no broaching of blind hex holes in 3mm stock.  Its not a model so I if have to use 3mmx.35 socket head screws I will (which I can find).  Just would be nicer with a grub/set screw.  I actually hadn't thought of slotting, but prefer a hex hole instead of the small slotted set/grub screws.  They just never seem too sturdy, although I guess if fully recessed......naw, too many to do.   

The .35 is stand metric fine so assumed (yeah, i know) they'd be common

If nothing turns up I'll go with a socket head screw like this

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/fasteners/thread-pitch~0-35-mm/

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 09:45:08 PM by Mcgyver »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 09:37:53 PM »
By "set screw" I assume you mean a bolt/screw with a thread all the way to under the head, i.e. no non threaded bit or shoulder under the head. What shaped head do you want?

Other than cap head, I normally make my own  ::)

Jo
What I call a set screw, would be the ones with no head, just a hex socket or a screwdriver slot in the end. Another regional term I guess! 

If you (Mcgyver) mean the headless type, an alternative would be to get some long m3x0.35 screws, with whatever head on them you can find, cut them into short lengths, and use a jewelers saw to cut a slot in the end for a screwdriver tip to run them into the parts.

EDIT: Mcgyver, Looks like we were typing basically the same thing at the same time...

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 09:42:47 PM »
Chris I could do it and would if it was one but its tooling not a model so the full court press on aesthetics isn't that appealing.

Its depth stops for quick change cartridges, part of an a 8mm watch makers lathe quick change tool post system I'm making based on the Swiss Tripan stuff, but smaller than their smallest.  Have about 30 to do :(

thanks all for help

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 11:39:24 PM »
I almost hate suggesting it but I found on Aliexpress things I couldn't source here in Canada, at really good prices and got them in about 2 weeks. This link here has what you need or very close, going to $5 shipping says you'd get it before Christmas.  Ignore that the link says M12 - there's a pick box for M3 x 0.35 x 3.5mm long.

M12 Fine Thread Screw Grub | Thread Grub Screw Set | Fine Thread Hexagon - M3 M4 M5 M6 - Aliexpress

Mike

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 01:07:22 AM »
ORDERED!  two packs plus shipping, $10 CDN. 

Awesome, thank you very much Mike.
  I searched on ali but I guess not well enough and didn't see that listing.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:51:25 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline petertha

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 02:24:04 AM »
Way to go Mike.R! I spent a little bit of time searching on AliExpress thinking I had seen them, but apparently gave up too soon. I somewhat pride myself playing Where's Waldo with various keywords on that site, but the 0.35's escaped me too. M3x0.35? (nope). Grub screw vs Set screw? (nope). Color = 0.35? (nope). Maybe the magic keywords were M3 'fine thread' that turned them up? because they list them as DIN 916 in the title description which I think? seems to reference the 0.50 pitch, but I'm no DIN expert.

https://www.fasteners.eu/standards/DIN/916/

Offline petertha

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 02:27:46 AM »
ORDERED!  two packs plus shipping, $10 CDN. 

What's getting rather strange is many Ali shipments are arriving to me in Calgary postmarked some place in Ontario. You should check, maybe the guy is just down your block. Busy looking residential garage... lots of courier traffic at all hours? LOL

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 10:29:18 AM »
Is this radial engine Peter?  haha, didn't make the connection at first

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 01:35:38 PM »
Yeah,  the whole searching thing is a game of tune up your vocabulary and think like a bad translation.

My Chinese isn't there at all so I should be appreciative that they list in English, but it does make finding very specific items challenging.

The key this time was searching "fine thread set screw"  knowing that M3 x 0.5 is the standard thread,  as just using "set screw" and " M3 x 0.35 " didn't work as you say.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
I never see these M3 fine threaded screws... nice to have a source !
I use extensively Metric fine thread on my steam engines and locos for boiler fittings mainly, but never that small.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »
Yeah,  the whole searching thing is a game of tune up your vocabulary and think like a bad translation.

My Chinese isn't there at all so I should be appreciative that they list in English, but it does make finding very specific items challenging.

The key this time was searching "fine thread set screw"  knowing that M3 x 0.5 is the standard thread,  as just using "set screw" and " M3 x 0.35 " didn't work as you say.
Same goes when doing any kind of geneology work - mis-spellings by the door to door census takers and by the ones who transcribed forms was very common.

Offline petertha

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 07:30:30 PM »
Is this radial engine Peter?  haha, didn't make the connection at first

Yes 'Mcgyver' Mike, its 'radial engine' Peter. The internet shrinks world distances haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal