Author Topic: Not Dead Yet  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Not Dead Yet
« on: September 30, 2022, 02:26:02 AM »
Don't cancel me. I'm not dead yet. I'm back with a new hip and a renewed (sort of) attitude. Mostly pain free with only Tylenol now I have partially returned to the shop. A few months ago I started to get my equipment in shape planning to sell it but insread got the itch to do something. So here I am. Shop tiime will be limited to a few afternoons per week  but I will have time in the evening for MEM and Alibre.

My first big job was to tear up and throw away the 12 x 18 wooden floor in my shop,  It was just cheap laminate on a concrete slab but the termites found the glue and fibre core very tasty.  They did not eat the top laminate but they ate everything else. Of course theat meaant moving aall of the benches tables and machines twice.  The only good thing was that it was laid down with an interlocking tounge and groove and no glue.

Job done and machines in place and I am in the process of sorting tooling and stock but its a start.  I dug out an old computer with my Alibre 2011 version which works fine and I mostly remember how to use it.  I won't be building anything big for a while but I may revive some unfinished projects.

I'm way behind in what has been going on here but I will try to catch up.       
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Not Dead Yet
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 05:11:47 AM »
Glad to see you back, Captain!     ;D

And with a new hip! What could be better?!?

Looking forward to seeing what projects you choose to work on.

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 08:42:44 AM »
Welcome back Jerry  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
Great to hear from you again  :)

Sorry about the floor - what are your plans - new Wood Floor or Concrete Work-Shop Paint ?

I hope that your 'new Leg' will mend so much that you wont need painkillers in the long run.     :cheers:

Per

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Per.  I'll just go with bare concrete.  I use a rolling office chair to scoot around the shop and I don't think paint would stand up to that. That's why I put down wood in the first place.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 03:08:04 PM »
The special Concrete Workshop Paint is extremely durable as it is ment to withstand Cars, Trucks & Forklifts + Oil, Diesel, Gasoline etc. - BUT it is rather expensive ....
Ohh, and you can get it as Non-Slip too ....

I do understand your dession though  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 01:02:52 AM »
Welcome Back Jerry!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 04:04:13 AM »
Yes,,,,reassuring to hear Jerry you are back with a new hip & relatively pain-free  :DrinkPint:

I say this Jerry.....as I have  a confirmed day of 11th October 2022.........for a new right hip  :help: ..yep just 10 more days................

Have recently acquired a 7" x 14" Sieg C3 from a fellow Live Steamer.....he was up-sizing, so I jumped at the chance ...he had upgraded the C3 to include taper rollers in the headstock, brass gibs, quick lock tail stock, quick change tool post & a host of tool carriers....and lots more .....and also with x and y digitals

PS....have also found my 2 Tobacco tins, with my 54-year-old    :old:  HSS ground lathe tools from the completion of my Apprenticeship  .....cannot wait to turn it on......

Derek
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:18:31 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »
Don't worryabout the surgery. It was a piece of cake. You might even have a little fun with it like I did. The surgery was done under a spinal block so there is no pain but they still use a light sedative so you don't have to listen to the bone saw.

The day after the assistant surgeon and his nurse stopped in for a visit. I told him that I had no problem but I did have a question.  I said that the sedative was mostly effective but I could hear some of the conversation in the OR.  I said that I seemed to remember someone saying "Oh shit!"  What was that about?

He got all defensive and was denying any problems.  His nurse was all giggles and she had to tell him that I was pulling his leg.

Good luck with your surgery.
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 11:49:20 PM »
Thanks Jerry......quite a few of my Live Steamer colleagues offer similar thoughts and the spinal block appears to be universal for hip & knee work, however I don't mind admitting, I am not brave & have pre-rerequested significent medication  :hammerbash:...as I have no interest in hearing or listening to any of the proceedings 

Derek
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:10:13 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »
Welcome back to model engineering  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 04:30:16 AM »
It is amazing how much you can forget in a two year absence from the shop. Things that I once did on auto pilot now have to be thought about.Simple things lit changing a lathe tool. Centering stock in the chuck. Which wrench do I use to lock the tailstock. Which drill bit for a #4-40 screw.  Two days of shop time have convinced me that it will be a while before I undertake a real project but I need to have a reason for being there.

Today I found it. Challenging from a skill level, an accuracy level, and beneficial for future projects.  Rummaging thru a stock drawer, I came across a length of 1/8" hex stainless rod.   Aha! The screw factory is open.  I tend to use a lot of #2-56 bolts. Regular bolts, shoulder bolts, studs and linkage rods with various end styles, and even scale hex nuts.  I had to hunt around for dies and die holders, drill bits and taps. I am not going to single point this stuff.  I will grind and polish some lathe bits and start working out a production process. 

I am feeling encouraged!
NOTARY SOJAK

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 04:59:27 AM »
You've got to start again somewhere, and that sounds like a great place to start!  :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 05:19:39 AM »
I seem to be spending more time building engines on Alibre' than I am in the shop  but I have got the machines cleaned, adjusted and working.  I did make a bunch of shoulder bolts to get the feel of things but as far as a real project, I am still in the planning stage.

I have not exhausted my search for a real early release Corliss mechanism but I may have it with this one.  It looks to simple to work or to work reliably but I think that it is a good contender and the parts are within my ability and equipment so I think I may give it a try.

Here are the features that I like the looks of.  It has a low part count.  All parts are relatively simple. No Springs. All of the moving parts of the release mechanism lie in the same plane so it should be free of alignment wobblies.

I am going to try to post some pics from my Alibre' design.  The first picture has both input linkages engaged.  The second picture has shows the valve on the right in the "tripped" condition, having encountered the red knockoff pin which lifted the push bar out of the notch on the rocker which allowed the dashpot to close the valve.  The point at which the knockoff pins to encounter the push bar is controlled by the wedge on top of the engine block and which may be controlled by a governor.  If the wedge is moved to the left, it raises the knock of pins causing them to encounter the push bar earlier in the cycle.

I have left much of the mechanism out of the pictures to make it easier to understand the steam valves.    There is nothing unusual about the exhaust valves.  Piston rods, guides, cranks, eccentrics and flywheels are left to the imagination.

Comments and questions are welcome and encouraged.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 08:05:45 PM »
Are you trying to construct a simpler (to build in model size) Corlish System  :noidea:

I must admit that I haven't build one - so no expert + I also can't get my head around how your system works, by just looking at the two Drawings .... though I guess that the top Wedge is connected to the Guvnor ...

I hope some of those that has Build the MEM Corlish will have a look as they should be much more qualified.
None the less - always good to use the Olde Gray Matter upstairs  ;D  :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal