Author Topic: A decent PLA filament.  (Read 3368 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: A decent PLA filament.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2022, 06:39:22 PM »
I imported an stl file into FreeCAD and then exported it as a step file. I then imported the step file into Designspark, which doesn't like importing step files and tells you that the file is read only. Then with a bit of messing around I could edit the file. I didn't try saving it as a Designspark file. If Designspark can do this, very reluctantly, Alibre should be a breeze.
Lee

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2022, 10:19:50 PM »
I got Alibre open right now, and the Import formats are :

Step Files ; .stp  .step  .ste
Iges Files ;  .igs
Sat Files ;  .sat
Rhino Files ;  .3dm
AutoCad ;  .dwg  .dxf
Image Files ;  .bmp  .dip  .rle  .img  .jpg  .jpe   .gif  .tif  .tiff  .png  .jfif  .emf  .wmf
Mesh Files ;  .3ds  .stl  .obj  .ply  .wrl
Solid Works Files ;  .sldprt  .sldasm
Inventor Files ;  .ipt  .ian
ProE Files ;  .prt  .asm  .xpr  .xas
Catia Files ;  .CATPart  .CATProduct
ParaSolid Files ;  .x_t  .X_b  .xmt_txt  .XMT_bin
Solid Edge Files ;  .par  .psm  .asm

You can argue that they aren't equally interesting - but I don't think that is a bad list for an old program - I haven't updated for some years now, as I can't afford to do so ....

Per

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2022, 11:16:27 PM »
Per, I know there are different versions of Alibre, the one I tried a year or so ago on a try before you buy basis had some features missing, even if you bought the programme. As I say, it was over a year ago so I can't remember too much about it, plus I had a free, student version of Solidworks to learn. Unfortunately the student licence only lasted a year so I didn't spend too much time on it. Alibre didn't run too well on this computer, not much does, and Alibre needed to "check in" each time it was used. My cad computer is hardly ever connected to the internet, but it sounds as though Alibre might be worth it.
That list of files is impressive!
Lee

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
OK mine is not the Student version - but somewhere in the middle - Alibre Pro ?

Per

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2022, 06:07:31 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure the (today's) $150 Alibre version does not include importing a lot of those files, Per - but upgraded versions do. The full list is available on the Alibre website, and may have changed over time.  As mentioned, I don't need .stl import for my own projects, and can probably find workarounds if needed...I should probably talk to my eldest son who knows and uses 3d modelers for his game development job.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal