Author Topic: Elmers Geared Steam Engine - Sourcing gears  (Read 1133 times)

Offline JasonP

Elmers Geared Steam Engine - Sourcing gears
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:07:21 PM »
Hi All,

While building my MEM Corliss, I'm starting to think about the next one. This forum introduced me to Elmers book, that arrived this week. I'm immediately attracted to the Geared Steam Engine, and would love to build it. The tricky bits are the gears, specifically the internal gear. The book calls out for a premade gear,  Boston Gear YI 4872. The cost when the book was published was $38. A quick search shows pricing in the $150 range! Does anyone have a source for these that is more reasonable? Making my own is beyond my equipment and skills, so a commercial part is my only real option. The spur gear I've sourced from ebay, only $13 including postage, so no problem there. Everything else is straightforward, although the plans call for a lot of aluminium construction, which I'll probably end up substituting for something ferrous.   

Thanks, Jason

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Elmers Geared Steam Engine - Sourcing gears
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 08:30:19 PM »
If you have a rotary table you should be able to do it using your mill as a manual slotting head with a home ground cutter

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7440.msg164787.html#msg164787

Offline Krypto

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 01:59:11 PM »
Zoro tools stocks Boston Gears.  They are usually competitive on prices with plenty of discount codes floating around.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »
If you are happy to go a little bigger then this one should work: eBay item number:234287003636

You are looking for a 72 tooth gear with a PD of 1.5", that 84 tooth one on Fleabay is 1.75" which means you will need a 42 tooth orbiting gear  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal