Author Topic: Farm Boy #876 - Mike's Build  (Read 10802 times)

Offline mikehinz

Re: Farm Boy #876 - Mike's Build
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2023, 05:03:37 PM »
So we're finally down to the final misc. bits to be able to start assembling this engine.

First, I always test the valve for sealing so I took the earlier fixture that I used for doing the milling work on the head and further modified it to act as a pressure test fixture.  Since the additional mods were only to drill and then tap a 1/4 NPT hole for an air fitting, I'll not bother to show those ops as they're quite simple.  I'll just show 2 view of the resulting fixture. 

Here's the setup ready to assemble the head onto for testing.  Note I just need to quickly hook the small regulator to my shop air and dial up the pressure to whatever I need for testing.

And here's the other end with the head ready for testing.  I made a simple gasket from some some Felpro paper/fiber material using my Silhouette cutter.  This was the fastest way to seal the head to the fixture.  The engine of course, uses an o-ring for sealing. 

I'll not show the actual testing, but I pressure the assembly up to about 40psi and submerge the assembly in a water bath and watch for any bubbles.  The good news, in this case, is that after a very minimal amount of lapping the valves, I got a good seal on each valve. 

The ignition system I use is a CDI unit from Roy Scholl which uses a hall effect pickup mounted in a small tube.  From my earlier build of an Upshur I designed a simple holder as shown.

I also needed a way to hold the trigger magnet.  Here I'm drilling/tapping for a 4-40 set screw through the edge of a piece of Delrin that I'd drilled a center hole through and turned to 3/16" thickness.

Here's the pickup assembly mounted to the engine. 

And here's the magnet holder attached to the crankshaft.  Note that one of the advantages of this setup is that the ignition timing can be independently adjusted from the valve timing.  Also since I've placed the set screw 180 degrees from the magnet, it's very easy to set the timing as the set screw is more or less straight up when the magnet is in position to trigger the hall effect device.

And at long last, here are all the completed parts ready for assembly. 

At about this point, I decided that I'd like to try to nicely finish this engine so I'll make one more post as to how I fabricated a fuel tank to be permanently installed on the finished engine. 

All for this post.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2023, 06:01:33 PM »
This is the last major piece for this engine, a permanently mounted fuel tank.  Usually I don't bother with a fuel tank and just use a plastic tank on a temporary basis.  But since I wanted to have a nice appearance for this engine, I decided to make, what I hope will be an attractive addition to the engine.

I started with a model in Fusion360 which I based on what I thought would look good with the engine and used some hints from other designs I'd seen online. 

Here's a render of the design.

And here's an exploded view of the design indicating all the parts to made and/or purchased.

Just a few details to note prior to showing a few built pix.  The tank OD is 1 3/8" with a 7/8" ID.  The view port is a 2mm mineral glass supplied by a watch supplier, 1" diameter and 2mm thick.  The tank filler cap is threaded 7/16-40 (mostly because I had a tap and die set of that size), the o-rings are Viton -020 which I engineered to have about .020" squeeze on them with the end cap tightened.  The filler neck and standoffs are secured to the tank body by using a bit of JB Weld at each joint. 

The following pix are just a few highlights of the build.

The filler neck and cap.  All simple turning from brass round stock.

Drilling and then boring the tank body ID to 7/8" 

Drilling and tapping qty 6 2-56 holes in the end of the tank.  I centered the work under the mill spindle and then used the DRO to position each hole.

Then to create the tank end cap, I simply used a slitting saw to cut off 1/8" of the tank.  Just prior to this I opened up each hole to allow clearance for the 2-56 screws that will be used to secure the end cap to the tank body.

Counterboring the end of the tank body to accommodate 2 o-rings plus the round mineral glass cover.

And here's the tank ready to finish assembly and to be installed on the engine base.  You'll note that the mineral glass is sandwiched between 2 Viton o-rings so that should prevent any leakage and should be fully resistant to fuel.

And thus ends the build of the fuel tank.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2023, 07:04:29 PM »
That's a nice looking fuel tank, Mike! It really pairs well with the look of the carb.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2023, 10:12:03 PM »
Without further messing about, I managed to assemble the engine and get it mounted to a 2x4 scrap for a temporary test base and plumbed up a plastic fuel tank from a local hobby shop and of course the S&S ignition system was rigged. 

Believe it or, it started on the first attempt!!  I did spin it with a drill motor using the starter hub mounted on the non-governor side of the engine.  And here the run, without the governor installed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhgTxSbRBM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhgTxSbRBM</a>

Since the engine did actually start and run, I then installed the governor catch arm and got it set somewhere close to correct and tried again.  And here's the result!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2fOX5PyXs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2fOX5PyXs</a>

And one more short video of some of this initial testing, this time from above the engine so that you can see the governor in action.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnrlOfZ91Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnrlOfZ91Q</a>

You can see that the engine is clearly not in its finished state as there's no paint and several cosmetic parts are missing.  But this, to me, is a huge accomplishment as I have an actual working engine! 

Next I tore the engine completely apart, cleaned everything and started the paint and body work.  I'll show just a few pix of the process.

Here are the major frame parts after some initial sanding and application of body putty to start filling in any minor defects, screw heads, etc.

The flywheels masked off with painter's tape ready for primer.

The water hopper top after being JB Welding into place and the initial coating of body putty applied.

The flywheels after primer was applied.  I used Rustoleum filler primer and did thoroughly clean all parts first with alcohol then with acetone prior to spraying on the primer. 

The flywheels are the paint was applied.  Again this was Rustoleum enamel and the color is Hunter Green.

The water hopper / cylinder assembly after painting.  On the AL pieces I used Rustoleum etching primer, then lightly sanded it and applied the Rustoleum Hunter Green paint, spraying from a can and putting on 3 coats.  I'll say that I ended up not at all being pleased with the Rustoleum etching primer and paint when applied to Al.  It seemed to remain extremely soft and the etching primer seemed to react badly to the body putty.  I ended up repainting the Al parts several times as a result.  For my next engine, I'm definitely going to do something different with respect to the paint.  I'm going to explore what's available for automotive use although I have no desire to get into the highly toxic catalyzed paint systems. 

Just to horrify both woodworkers and machinists, I'll show a few pix of preparing the permanent wood base for the engine.  This is some extremely hard walnut that was from some trees harvested by my father from the farm we grew up in western Oklahoma.  My father had the wood sawn at a local mill into some rough planks and my brother has stored that wood since the early 1960's.  So every once in a while we use a bit of that wood for special projects.  My brother is an excellent woodworker with the necessary equipment to cut and plane the rough lumber into useable shape.

This wood is so hard that I had to drill and tap 10-32 for the engine mounting screws.  And shock and horror, I used my Bridgeport to do that!

Here I'm again using the Bridgeport to drill and countersink the mounting screw holes that will secure the riser block to the larger base.

Using some Torx deck screws to secure the riser to the base.

And finally, the last pix for this post, the wood base and the riser block after applying multiple coats of the finish.  I used some Minwax WoodSheen 'rubbing oil'.  There's no stain applied to the wood, that's the natural color.  My brother selected a bit of wood that had a lot of color and character and I think it came out well.

And that's it for the build!  I'll post the final pix and a few videos of the engine running in The Showcase portion of this forum under Engines.  I'll try to post a link to that post if I can figure out how to do so.

I THINK this should be the link to the post for the completed engine in The Showcase under Engines.

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,11380.msg266324/topicseen.html#new

Enjoy!

Mike

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:17:14 PM by mikehinz »
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2023, 10:38:47 PM »
That's going to be a beautiful base, Mike!  And I love your first run videos - especially the one with the governor!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2023, 09:32:35 PM »
Amazingly good first Run - very consistant RPM :ThumbsUp:
+ a just a fine Guvnor Run  :praise2:

You should be proud of that result  :cheers:

Per

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2023, 11:30:17 PM »
Sounds great. Always nice when it runs like yours. Going to look good once it is completely painted nice choice of colour

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2023, 01:27:19 PM »
Your first run is amazing, and doubly so when it started on the first try.

Your run with the governor is great. It looks like it is acting like it should.

Congratulations and Thank You for posting.

ShopShoe

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal