Author Topic: Chris's Build of Steering Engine  (Read 52183 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of Steering Engine
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
Great, thanks again!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2022, 04:32:55 PM »
Got started on the porthole openings in the wall panels, starting with the rear panel which gets four large openings:

Still need to go back and trim the angled sides of the openings.

Then set up for the front panel, which gets more smaller openings. The two outer lower ones will have the engine mounting blocks soldered into them, and the larger upper one gets the control valve bolted into it.

While it was in the mill, also drilled the mounting holes for the control valve and the limiting cap for the upper shaft. Later on I'll come back and make the slots for the rudder indicator - want to wait till its made and cut them to fit closely.

Before I could set up to trim those angled edges, the shop elves grabbed the panels and started figuring out the layout for their new clubhouse

I couldnt resist setting the panels on the engine bed for a look too

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:35:59 PM by crueby »

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2022, 04:46:52 PM »
There is a grease container on the front panel. These are the things we call Staufer sockets. When turning, grease is pushed towards the bearing.

The crankshaft bearings also have these grease bushes. I think they used to be brass. But I could only buy some made of sheet steel at flea markets. It was difficult to get four of a kind.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »
Chris, it looks great when the three pieces are together.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2022, 01:44:03 AM »
An artist at work, don’t you just Love it..?…. :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  Great to have you following along.

Got started on the first three of the inserts/add-ons for the wall plates, the extensions/gussets for the gear shafts. There is one at each end of the lower shaft, one at the back end of the upper shaft. Started out by turning a length of bar stock long enough for all three plus room in the chuck to overall diameter, and turned the outer end down to the size of the cylinder that will stick out of the wall:

Then moved the chuck over to the mill with the rotary table set up vertically and a tailstock to support the outer end. Then took cuts down each side of what will become the gussets. The 'X' marks the section between the gussets to be milled away.

A closer view from the end partway through milling away the waste stock between the first two gussets - same depth, turning the rotary table 5 degrees between each pass. At this point the cutter is about to break through at the bottom of the waste wedge, so I cut through the chuck end first to let the wedge drop out.

Farther along the process

I took finishing passes down each side of each gusset to smooth them and get them to final thickness. Then moved back to the lathe, and turned that outer end down to the size of the hole in the wall plate:

The first section was then sawn off (sticking out too far to trust the parting tool so used the hacksaw to rough cut the piece off). Here it is sitting in the top hole in the rear wall plate.

Cleaned up the end of the remaining bar, drilled a new center hole, and did the same for the second insert

and the third one

Here are the three inserets so far.

Next step is to trim them to final length, and use the compound slide to angle in the gussets:

One trimmed, two to go. After that I'll drill/bore out the centers of each one for the bronze bearings...

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2022, 08:53:26 PM »
So MUCH Gold Brass reduced to Dust ....  :o  .... has the Elves started a Foundry in order to collect the Spoils yet  :LittleDevil:

Great parts 'reviled under the rubble' or .... how did the saying go  :noidea:

Per

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2022, 08:56:16 PM »
That's some pretty nifty fab work there, Chris!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2022, 09:12:32 PM »
So MUCH Gold Brass reduced to Dust ....  :o  .... has the Elves started a Foundry in order to collect the Spoils yet  :LittleDevil:

Great parts 'reviled under the rubble' or .... how did the saying go  :noidea:

Per
I can hear them back in the shop now with the shovels and wheelbarrows, filling up their trailer...
I know the saying about ten pounds in a five pound bag, probably not the one you mean!   :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »
That's some pretty nifty fab work there, Chris!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim
Thanks Kim!  Lots of ways I could have made those inserts, this one is working out well so far!

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:42 PM »
Chris, just brilliant solution.

:cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2022, 10:10:42 PM »
If anyone ever needs an impeller for a small centrifugal pump, I know just the fella, right Chris?  :Lol:  :cheers:

The ribbed bosses look great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2022, 02:52:14 PM »
If anyone ever needs an impeller for a small centrifugal pump, I know just the fella, right Chris?  :Lol: :cheers:

The ribbed bosses look great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Pump impellers or elf-drink-mixers?  :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2022, 02:59:08 PM »
Got the last steps done on all three of the shaft inserts, drilling and boring out the centers to take the bronze bearings:

Here they are set in place on the wall panels - they will be soldered on at the same time as the other blocks still to be made.

The next set of parts are the right-angle blocks at the bottom corners of the walls, to form the leg extensions used to stabilize the walls when they are bolted to the engine bed. The cutout piece from the engine bed was a good size to make these from. A notch was milled down the length of it to form the 'L' shape needed:

Then the excess from the bottom was sawn off, and the sides of the L milled down close to but a little thicker than the final thickness:

Next is to mill in a notch on the inner surface for the overlap with the wall. Here it is set in place first, to give you a better idea where it will be.

The part that overlaps needs to be thinned down by the thickness of the flange on the wall. It will then be screwed in place to hold it for soldering.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2022, 03:53:07 PM »

[/quote]
Pump impellers or elf-drink-mixers?  :Jester:
[/quote]

I didn't want to mention that application in case they broke into the spirit locker again..... :Lol:   :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal