Author Topic: Stuart One One (No11) Replica  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Stuart One One (No11) Replica
« on: September 14, 2022, 07:46:50 PM »
Time for another little one to join the collection, this time it is based on the Stuart One-One or No 11. Up until about 5 weeks ago I had not even heard of this engine from Stuarts but an image was posted on the Stuart Models Face Book Page of what seems to be the only one in existence on the net. A following reply included a scan from an old catalogue and that was enough to get me going. It was drawn up over the next couple of evenings in Alibre and the Little Otto put on the back burner while I made this one.

I made a few changes from what I could make out of the original.

- As I wanted to make it all in metric rather than go down to 11mm bore which would have been the closest whole number to the original 7/16" bore I went up to 12mm as more will have a 12mm reamer than an 11mm one if anybody wants to ream the bore.
- The bed "casting" has less draft at the ends as I had a piece of aluminium in mind for it when doing the design, in the end I opted for some cast iron but stuck with the same 2degrees of draft all round.
- The original looks to be a single acting piston valve design but I went with double acting just to make it a bit harder to make
- I think the original used the "progress" flywheel but after looking at Stuart's the likely cost with VAT and postage was going to be about £22 so I cut £3 worth off the end of a piece of 65mm dia cast iron bar and cut my own on the CNC but still sized it so a progress flywheel could be used.

It's a quiet runner when not on the table in the video which amplifies any sounds and will run nice and slow as well has having a good turn of speed when the regulator is opened to let more of the 5psi of air through.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7KmlotLJ4w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7KmlotLJ4w</a>
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:54:35 PM by Jasonb »

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: Stuart One One (No11) Replica
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:54:37 PM »
That's a very nice little engine!

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 09:38:15 PM »
Very nice and smooth running engine Jason and well done with the colour choice as well.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 03:40:26 AM »
Very elegant little engine, & it sure runs well.
I tend to make little “tweaks” on the engines I build.
Kind of makes them my own.
Although some may think me a bit of a blasphemer for doing this.
The color is a good choice.
Kinda makes me hungry for a piece of Key Lime pie.
Cheers, GT

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 07:11:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments, the two photos make the green a bit light, where I'm running it in my hand on the video is closer to the actual Ford "Forrest Green"

I like to do that too Ted rather than just follow the supplied plans and do take it to extremes at times if anything like the recent Real engine is anything to go by, the upcoming James Coombes will get similar treatment.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »
The wonders of Facebook have furnished me with some more information about the One-One and it turns out that is was double acting. I could only see the steam exhausting from the far end of the piston valve housing so assumed single acting but as the sketch below shows the exhaust from the other side of the piston passed through the hollow valve and out where I could see it.

Oh well I'll just have to find another project to use that setup, Stuart Meteor replica maybe  :thinking:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
JB you have posted this model in the build thread area - did you intend that it should have gone in the showcase as a finished engine?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 04:44:25 PM »
Might post some pics of how I went about it if the is some interest so can stay here for now :)

Any swarfing going on down your neck of the woods or is it all gathering the harvest this time of year

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 07:25:42 AM »
Found the original engine running:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9a4UTwoPQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9a4UTwoPQ</a>

Interesting  :thinking: the exhaust comes out of the plug in the end of the piston valve hole, other than that it has a standard piston valve set up. Production stopped before WW2 and never restarted. I wonder if ME had any other pics of it?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 07:46:38 AM »
Yes that's the one I based my model on together with the old catalogue pages steam/air coming out the end was what made me think it was single acting but as the sketch I posted above above shows it's double with the exhaust from the other end passing through the actual valve which I had not seen before.

There is no plug on the original just the open hole which would make it easier if you wanted to plumb in the exhaust much like the Meteor

Here it is on steam you can see it coming out the end

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfnk5IMTgs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfnk5IMTgs</a>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 07:51:34 AM by Jasonb »

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:04:46 AM »
That's a really pretty engine.
Steve

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 11:27:45 AM »
In my eyes it looks like a High-End Toy of yore. So I would have seen it as Very Desireable if I was born a 100 years ago .... but today I very much prefer Jasons paint job.

Per

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 05:11:37 PM »
From the 1930’s advertisement it says this engine was not available in casting kit form, only available as a finished & painted model.
So as admiral says it musta been a high-end working toy model, may be why there’s so few in existence as not many were built.
Kudos on this replica Jason, looks like a fun well running project.
Cheers, GT

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 06:30:20 PM »
Thanks for the interest. These small engines are good fun projects being quite quick to make and not too taxing on brain or tools and I also enjoy the design phase as well as the actual building.

Yes I suppose it was a toy, the advert says it is suitable for powering Trix, mecanno etc so a few lucky boys may have got one for Christmas or a Birthday and used it to run something.

The next small one is progressing well :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal