Author Topic: I bought myself a birthday present!!!  (Read 3061 times)

Online tghs

I bought myself a birthday present!!!
« on: September 14, 2022, 05:26:53 PM »
for working with that non-metalic stuff,, Byrne's thickness sander, this little beasty is half motor, weighs in at around 25 lbs, just purrs in place while working.
what the @#&% over

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: I bought myself a birthday present!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 05:29:01 PM »
A nice addition. Happy Birthday! :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 05:37:03 PM »
That's a very nice little machine! Congratulations!

Have a very happy birthday!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 06:27:09 PM »
Nice!  Make sure Slim keeps back from it!

Online tghs

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
he surely doesn't need a dimensional reduction plan..
what the @#&% over

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »

Good on you, a nice machine.  At the current pace, In think in 400-500 hundred years I've got some fun wood modelling projects making it to the top of the list....so in preparation, I want one!

Have you used it yet?  What sort of woods?  How does it perform?  How the dust, manageable or far worse than expected?

Online tghs

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 04:00:01 PM »
well the birthday didn't end, as I plan on building the all correct as prototype wood hull for my 1/6th 30ft steam launch project this winter (all the types of needed wood are in the shop) I went ahead and ordered the byrnes tablesaw also.. should be a great replacement for my old dremel saw..  "Hi my name is Todd and I buy tools" admitting you have a problem is the first step :help:
what the @#&% over

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 05:16:50 PM »
The Byrnes saw is a GREAT little saw!  I have that too, and I know you're going to love it!  It is the most stable, accurate little thing!  It may be little, but it's quite heavy!  Enjoy your birthday presents!  And make sure to show us your progress on your steam launch!

Kim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 05:59:22 PM »
I have been thinking about the saw, I have one from Micromark and it leaves a lot to be desired. If you purchase one I would be interested to hear how it works for you.

Dave

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 06:02:02 PM »
Kim

I posted that before I saw your reply, I would also to like to here your thoughts on the saw? Is there anything that you are not happy with?

Thanks
Dave

Online tghs

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 07:02:55 PM »
I'll be comparing to my old modded dremel,, will be giving up the tilting arbor, but even with a bunch of mods this one was never great.. always had flex in the system.. going to study the byrnes tilting table and see if one can't be shopmade to meet my needs..
what the @#&% over

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 10:04:12 PM »
Dave,
The saw is very accurate and very stable.  It can use 4" slitting saws so you've got a lot of options for blades & kerf thickness.  There have been a few times I've missed a tilting arbor.  I do have the tilting table which is, as all Byrnes tools, very high quality.  And it works well, but It's NOT the same as using a tilting arbor on a standard table saw, if you're used to that.  You pretty much have to cut a piece to size, then put the tilting table on to cut the miter angle along the edge.  you can't cut a 12" length in half at 45o then flip half over and have a 90o joint.  You would have to cut the parts to length, then cut the 45's on the ends.  You'll probably see what I mean if you look at the picture of their tilting table.  Let's see if it works if I link directly to their image here...

OK, that seemed to work :)

Anyway, having said that, I really do like the saw for cutting small parts for a wood model.  I have cut some aluminum and brass on it, but the motor isn't variable speed so it's kinda fast for cutting most metals.

The miter gauge is very nice - has presets for almost any standard angle you'd want.  I've loved that!  I also have the taper jig, though I can't say as I've used that too much.  But I do love the saw for what it's for!  Making models.  It's a great machine.

Kim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 11:10:43 PM »
Thanks Kim!

Dave

Online tghs

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 09:11:37 PM »
saw arrived.. it just hums, doesn't know it's cutting 1/2" plywood,, fence is amazing.. very very happy.. lots of white cedar, white oak, ash, cherry and few other woods will get a trip or two across it...
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 09:28:54 PM »
A new tool, wonderful. One that does its job so well, fantastic! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal