Author Topic: First one, then two cylinders.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
First one, then two cylinders.
« on: September 09, 2022, 10:07:02 PM »
Hello, everyone,

Some time ago, an elderly gentleman came up to me at a model building exhibition and asked me if I could do something with the remains of an old steam engine.
In a box were individual parts that looked like a steam engine. When I got home I assembled the parts on the workbench. There was a base plate with two A-Staners, a flywheel and a cylinder. Many parts are missing and you can see that it was supposed to be a two-cylinder machine. So I decided to complete the work of the unknown master. All parts are cast iron or steel. Only the cylinder is made of bronze with a lid. All parts were nickel-plated and painted green.
There were flaws in the cast iron on the A stand. That's when I got the idea to use this epoxy resin modeling clay. Then smoothed with the Dremel and ball end mill. An upper part of the crankshaft bearing is missing and a piece of steel is already ready. A start has been made.

It's been a few years since the restoration.

Michael

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: First one, then two cylinders.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
Looks to be an interesting task  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
An upper part of the crankshaft bearing was missing and I adapted a piece of steel by milling and rounded off the top with a file. The oil cup was soldered.
The bore was adjusted on the milling machine.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 08:19:19 PM »
The first cylinder is a bronze casting. The second new cylinder is made from one piece of brass. The steam doors were milled. and expanded in scope. The slider mirror is an extra part and was soldered on with soft solder. Then the openings are milled. I was surprised how well it worked. In the future, the machine will only run with compressed air. Both cylinders have a bore of 40 mm.
The machine base was planned for two cylinders.

best regards Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »
Great job on the new parts. Going to be a nice engine again.

:popcorn:

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 08:55:02 PM »
The new pistons were made of aluminum. They also became much longer than the original piston. The stroke of the machine is not very large and with the original piston there would be a lot of dead space above and below the piston. It's not supposed to be like that.
I never made piston rings at that time. Rings were cut from a piece of cast iron. Filed a notch with the file. And separated with a hammer. Heated with a spacer and with an indirect flame from the gas burner. They were under tension and could slip onto the piston.

Michael

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
very nice rebuilding work, which promises a nice model.
I have often heard that aluminum is not suitable for steam engines, because of corrosion, but I don't know if this is true.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 09:09:45 AM »
A nice job on the piston rings  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  I usually split mine with a pair of side cutters.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 02:54:46 PM »
I found the original Dampf box to be too small and made two new ones. The slide valve was also created anew as a result. On the cover of the first cylinder is the place where the machine was found and the approximate year of manufacture of the steam engine. At least that's what the machines might have looked like at the time.
The cover of the new cylinder bears my name and the place and year of the restoration.
The flywheel was too small and I had a bigger one lying around.
The crankshaft now has bronze bearing shells.

Michael

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
Nice work on this restoration, Michael.  I'm enjoying seeing what you did for the engine.  It looks great!  Can't wait to see the next episode!  :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »
Zephyrin, I have no experience with aluminum pistons under steam.
If steam oil is included and the condensation is removed later, I could imagine that it would work.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 07:56:50 PM »
Hi Kim, I'll continue and the eccentric ring will remind you of your work. I mean the eccentric of your driving pump of your locomotive.
On a picture you can see how primitively I adjust the eccentric hub with the help of a digital caliper before I drill. I machined the eccentric on the lathe with a rod for clamping.
In the end I had two eccentrics.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 07:58:41 PM »
I like the indicator setup!

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 08:28:59 PM »
A second connecting rod was made. A lot of hand sawing, drilling and filing. I thought you build like the first builder.
I rebuilt both cranks.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 08:39:26 PM »
The upper bearing on the connecting rod is made of bronze and consists of two parts. It is held in a groove to prevent it from twisting.
The clasp is made from a piece of round steel that has been flattened on both sides. Then milled a long hole inside. (Unfortunately no more picture of it) Sawed through in the middle and I had two hangers.
The bearing is clamped with the usual wedges.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal