Author Topic: Down the rabbit hole  (Read 1542 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Down the rabbit hole
« on: September 06, 2022, 07:36:00 PM »
My boss at work bought a nice 3d printer for me as a 20 yr. thank-you gift.  It's a MakerGear M2...which apparently is struggling to stay in business.  But the kit is pretty nice (glad it wasn't my money), and once I got up the initial learning curve, it's pretty interesting.  I'm using the open source Slic3r program for slicing, and the "demo" print controller that came with the printer.  Trying to figure out how to use the open source pronterface code that is suggested as a print controller, but not having much luck with it.

Printed the "Benchy" test print, but chose one off Thingiverse called "We're Gonna Need a Bigger Benchy" because it just fits my sense of humor. (pic below)

The first useful item printed was a part I knocked out in about 5 minutes - a leather stamp with #3 son's initials. (pics of the stamp and test impression on some oak-tanned leather below)

Like with other things, this appears to be a nice time suck for when I'm retired...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Down the rabbit hole
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
Love the new version of Benchy!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 05:22:17 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun! :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:
I'm going to have to get one of these myself someday...

When I need yet another time sink!  :ROFL:
Kim

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »
Beware of the 3D printing rabbit hole....  It NEVER releases its' victims.  DAMHIK

Don

Offline bent

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
LOL.  I'll carry my rabbit rifle with me... >:D

I have in mind some ideas for tooling using the 3d printer, up to and including some casting of stuff.  Probably just start with pewter in a PLA->silicone mold->pewter casting chain. 

But there are also a lot of sheet metal bending dies and jigs I could put together using PLA parts, and some measurement tools, a few spare cutting squares, maybe a leather stitching pony...I'd better retire soon, the list keeps growing!
 ;D

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 06:49:47 PM »
I'd better retire soon, the list keeps growing!

Bent I hear you, I'm going to retire in a couple of years.  The way I figure it my list of projects that I want to do when I retire should keep me busy... until I'm about 120.

Don
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:54:05 PM by ddmckee54 »

Offline bent

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 05:03:52 PM »
LOL, too true, Don.

Funny thing - yesterday I finished up a quicky build of a manual hydraulic pump for a customer, who asked for one through our sales team.  Asked the boss if it was good to go, and we commiserated that Sales would probably want their input, and we'd have to paint it candy apple red and put flames on it.  The boss then mentioned a hood ornament.

They really need to learn that  you shouldn't say things like that to an engineer with access to a 3d printer....

Printed out a small 2" high model of the Rolls Royce flying lady and brought it in today...got a few laughs.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 05:40:14 PM »
Perfect!   :Lol:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »
bent - what, no 3D printed stencil for the flame paintjob?   :Lol:

Nice going on the printed hood ornament idea!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal