Author Topic: Cheap filters for straining resin.  (Read 999 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Cheap filters for straining resin.
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:30:37 AM »
The filters I buy from my resin and PLA supplier are very expensive, 5 filters for over £5. Today I found that a local motorcycle paint supplier sells large paper filters with the plastic mesh in the bottom half (190 micron) at £6 for two packs of 10 filters. The filters are for cellulose and other types of paint so I am fairly certain they will do the job. Now, if only I could find a local supplier of resin and PLA.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
Re: Cheap filters for straining resin.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »
eBay's your friend, 50 for £6.36.

Offline Stan Stocker

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:28:37 PM »
The filters I buy from my resin and PLA supplier are very expensive, 5 filters for over £5. Today I found that a local motorcycle paint supplier sells large paper filters with the plastic mesh in the bottom half (190 micron) at £6 for two packs of 10 filters. The filters are for cellulose and other types of paint so I am fairly certain they will do the job. Now, if only I could find a local supplier of resin and PLA.
Greetings,

I don't know what is easy to get in the UK, here is what I bought in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJD2D9H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Might at least give you some search terms to help, a pound a filter is nuts!

A local auto parts supplier that has a good body work section may have the filters in bulk or be able to order them for you, they are just paint strainers not some special resin rated secret sauce item.  The motorcycle shop that you have purchased from may be able to order bulk packs at a better price, you know the shops they supply that paint every day don't buy them in quantity one or five packs.

Cheers,
Stan

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
Hi Bill, I can't bring myself to buy anything from ebay. I suppose I am just a distrustfull person. I will buy from amazon as a last resort, but only if I have exhausted all other options. But 50 for £6.36 is tempting!

Stan, I checked out the link which is, as you say, for the US market. I will have a look at the UK amazon webpage later. I still favour buying things face to face (or on the end of a phone) with the seller. Today at the paint shop I asked about a primer for plastic. He pointed out a spray can of primer that once you had coated the plastic surface you could apply any other paint over it. It must be an etch primer or maybe a barrier primer. I will get a bit more experience with resin printing before buying a can.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal