Author Topic: Restoration of a Lowne atmospheric engine.  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Restoration of a Lowne atmospheric engine.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
Due to a recently acquired viral infection things have been a little slow at the Alyn workshop. Luckily it hasn’t affected the operation of my trusty IPad.  :ThumbsUp:

The second spring, this time the right size finally arrived along with the 37 mm Viton rings. Sadly the Chinese don’t work to BSS in the O ring department. They didn’t fit…. It seems they work on OD not ID as we do. So my O rings were 2 mm under size. Despite trying to stretch them a little the friction was too great so my Lowne is still running with the short length of twisted PTFE rope for the stuffing gland. I will post some video of the nearly completed restoration soon. I’m still waiting for vital information on the water tank top.

Whilst incapacitated I have been delving deeper into the Lowne history. It seems that the first patent may have been granted around 1859/61. I’m attaching some period advertising and a photo of the Hardy and Padmore vacuum engine that was built from the latter part of the 1890’s. Only 3 survive in preservation.

:cheers:  Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 04:58:58 PM »
Imperial are sized by OD and metric by ID

I do prefer the look of that one to the horizontal

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »
The piston is bang on 37 mm Jason. So I ordered 37 x 1 mm to fit the bore of the gland @ 39 mm.

I agree with you that the older version is much nicer looking but unusually over complicated for what it does.

Edit…. Or are you referring to the Hardy and Padmore version?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 06:16:59 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2022, 03:31:27 PM »
Have an “ ATMOSPHERIC “ Christmas.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkslYmSE_0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkslYmSE_0</a>

Now almost finished with just the cover for the water tank to go. Due to there being so few of these engines around I don’t know how the cover is made.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2022, 03:37:06 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkslYmSE_0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkslYmSE_0</a>
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2022, 03:41:06 PM »
Thanks Jo….

One to many  :DrinkPint:  :DrinkPint:

LOL

Have a great day. :cheers: Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
Runs nicely Graham  8)

Good idea  :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2022, 05:21:55 PM »
Yes, you do have it ticking over nicely! :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2022, 08:42:59 PM »
Runs and sounds really nice  :ThumbsUp:      :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »
Great running atmospheric engine, Graham!  Thanks for sharing the video with is!  :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2022, 09:57:49 AM »
well restored engine, runs as a new one !
still with the teflon "ring" ?

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »
Thanks to you all for the comments.  :ThumbsUp:

Zephyrin, yes just a simple thin rope made from twisted PTFE tape wound around the piston for three turns or so. The engine is lubricated with a light machine oil.

Just as a side note, many years ago I used to use the famous Three in one oil for bedding in my engines. I soon discovered that it was actually wearing out the piston rings and cylinder bores. I’m not sure if it contained a fine abrasive but it certainly accelerated the wear and the used engine oil would show with a charcoal Grey colour that sparkled in the light.

As previously stated the only finishing touch is the cooling tank cover. I can see traces of soft solder along all four sides of the top inner edges. You can see from the attached photos that there’s a rather ornate Copper opening. I would like to think that this can be rotated to provide a larger opening for filling but the only other single cylinder version’s top cover was also missing. The owner of the twin cylinder engine, with original top, doesn’t want to touch it for fear of damaging the paintwork which is quite understandable. The last picture is of another twin but has been user modified to provide the cylinder seals with water vapour.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 11:57:51 AM »
Now here’s a question for the “ technical “ folks….

With both the Lowne built and Hardy and Padmore built engines the piston is sealed at the entrance of the cylinder. Effectively the piston floats around inside the bore. Being horizontal the Lowne built engine has a small Steel plate that gently rub’s along the bottom of it. ( cylinder )

Is there a greater surface area presented for atmospheric pressure to do work with or merely just the the front face of the piston, as in most other types? I have been pondering this question since I got the engine. The reason I ask is because it seems to have a much greater power than expected.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2022, 01:07:55 PM »
Not sure but any vacuum on the side of the piston is not going to suck it back into the cylinder in the same way sucking on the end would and possible cancelled out by any vacuum on the opposite side of the piston.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2022, 01:36:46 PM »
I would say that this large increase in surface of the piston is expected to augment heat exchange during the cycle, deeper cooling of the air inside leading to a deeper vacuum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal