Author Topic: Another attempt at making a resin printed flywheel pattern.  (Read 941 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Another attempt at making a resin printed flywheel pattern.
« on: September 04, 2022, 11:31:39 PM »
The build plate on my resin printer is a bit on the small side. When I have printed something as large as a 100mm dia flywheel I can't get it to adopt a good angle to ensure a clean print. This of course could be down to my inexperience! I thought I would try a different approach. If I couldn't get my new design flywheel, 89mm dia, to lay flat on the build plate, I would cut it in half. In my CAD programme of course. I also took the opportunity to remove some of the solid to make more of a shell to save hollowing it out in the slicer software. This way both halves of the flywheel pattern could fit on the buildplate, flat. The taller something is in a resin printer the longer it takes to print. A print at 100mm high could take several hours. One at 20mm high a little more than an hour. The print was almost flawless, very easy to clean up and the two halves were bonder together with epoxy. A little filler and sanding made the print ready for sand casting. I just couldn't get the sand cohesion right. No matter how I rammed it, the sand wouldn't hold together, especially between the spokes. This left me baffled to say the least. I had added more water as the the sand had been sitting in its storage big for nearly two years. But it didn't feel right. I wondered if it needed more Bentonite. I added some and the texture of the sand changed dramatically. I will let the sand sit until tomorrow and try again. These pictures show the halves of the flywheel pattern, and then glued and filled.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
Re: Another attempt at making a resin printed flywheel pattern.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
That looks like it works ok
 :)

Watch out for potential suction cups (i e. Large areas enclosed by thin walls) they tend to get perforated or collapse.

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: Another attempt at making a resin printed flywheel pattern.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 02:56:20 PM »
I started to worry half way through the print when I realised that I hadn't put any drain holes in the part. When it had finished printing I was very surprised to find that it had printed OK, then it dawned on me that with the back of the pattern open and held off the build plate 5mm by the supports, no suction or compression should happen. The next resin printer I buy will have a much bigger build plate! I would like to be able to buy my resin locally instead of sending for it. Interestingly there is a company here in Cornwall that makes filament from old fishing nets. It is a bit dear though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal