Author Topic: New toy for the Levin!  (Read 1105 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
New toy for the Levin!
« on: August 28, 2022, 06:06:21 PM »
Just scored a 8mm collet tailstock for a price below the national debt....been looking for two years!....pictures when it gets here
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: New toy for the Levin!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 08:52:25 PM »
Oooh   ooooh and another sought after trinket....a fixed steady!.....got a decent.deal on that too!
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 07:16:10 PM »
Pictures today I think.   I got my work done at work, and took the second week of vacation that I wanted to take.

A Tailstock  ( 8 mm collet holding push tailstock) and a steady rest for the Levin.) the TS needs a little cleaning up, but the bore and spindle are perfect as is center height....so it wont take too much I think

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 11:39:10 PM »
Nice.  They are great little lathes, I'm in very deep as well lol.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 11:46:03 PM »
Nice.  They are great little lathes, I'm in very deep as well lol.

Well   If you dont mind the lack of Chrome, the painted ones  ( mostly war machines) come up for very reasonable prices.    Mine was one of the very first Levin's, (39-41 according to Levin)  and the Tailstock and steady I just got,  I think were middle to late 40's    Dropped right on and aligned perfectly.     I needed to make a new clamp bolt for the TS which I just finished and the steady clamp screw is far too long, so I'll shorten that up.     Working on that right now....just need to draw up a quick lathe fixture to hang on to it.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:12:57 AM »
Sounds like fun!  Pictures!  :pics:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 02:03:56 AM »
Not the greatest pictures.     But they get the story across.   I really like my 3C indexer that I bought/modified, including the 3C spindle.   Worked perfectly as intended, dropping right in the mill vise.
The existing eccentric clamp bolt was about .010" too long to actually clamp on the bed, so I made a new one with the clamp hole .012" closer to the shoulder.   Easy peasy job took about an hour, and most of it was in the mill.    Parted it off, deburred it, and it dropped right in and worked perfectly....sitting side by side with the original.    The steady rest clamp screw was about 1" too long, so I threaded it further and parted off the excess length, and also made a spacer washer to match the one for the cross slide clamp bolt.   That also fits perfect.      One family shot with it all up and clamped in position.   I grabbed the push center that was in the Headstock with a collet mounted in the Tailstock....the tailstock spindle has about 50 millionths clearance...Imagine a push fit that takes about 5 grams to move...it feels amazing.   That said the alignment between the Headstock and the Tailstock is good enough that they both spin without any tight spots ....nice and smooth....so alignment is pretty good!     Levin quotes .0002" up and down front to back...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 02:30:41 AM »
Nice!  Once your launch boat is done, you can model it using the Levin!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal