Author Topic: 3D printing two flywheel patterns, one resin, one PLA.  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: 3D printing two flywheel patterns, one resin, one PLA.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
That one looks to have come out better, though dark surface makes it harder to see the outer surface on the last photo but should be good being Resin.

Yes spoke orientation is usually the other way round with the longer axis on the parting line which will help with pulling it out of the sand.

Will go change to a heavier zinc/aluminium alloy for the actual flywheel to get some weight into it?

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
Bill,
Your build plate is bigger than mine! The stl wouldn't fit at the angle you had it at. I have been printing both halves at once, if I only print one half I could tilt the model a bit more. Thanks for your help.

Jasonb,
I have some ZL12 I can use, but I want to get a good casting and weigh it first. And this engine has two flywheels, so ZL12 might be a bit on the heavy side.
I have made another pla pattern with the spokes facing the way you suggest. It is slightly smaller than my first flywheel. I will try casting it in the next few days.

Lee

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
Bill, before I attempt to print another flywheel I hope you can tell me your slicer settings. I have a feeling that my layer print time, not the bottom layers which are at 40 seconds, but the rest of the layers. Mine is set at 2.2 seconds, I think that might be a bit low. I was thinking 2.4 to 2.5 seconds would be better.
Lee

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 05:47:25 PM »
From memory

With basic resins 30s and 2.5, Black and more opaque resins 35 and 3.5

The abslike resin had the longer exposure plus a reduced lift rate to reduce peel force.

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2022, 06:04:29 PM »
Thanks Bill. I will try 35 and 3. I haven't printed anything at 3 seconds before. This should be interesting!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal