Author Topic: Southbend 9 inch rescue  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Grateful Ted

Re: Southbend 9 inch rescue
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 04:05:26 AM »
Looks like 1947 for the win!
Enjoy your lathe.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 02:49:34 AM »
In Steve Wells excellent website and database, if you look at the picture of 7148NCR8 you will see it looks identical to your lathe which puts it sometime around 1947.

If you haven't already, you absolutely need to pull the spindle and replace the spindle wicks.

Sadly, entire sections of Well's website are broken.   Links don't work or pages are blank.
Although I was able to search the index and find the 7148NCR8 and it does look like a match.   The drum switch mount is in the same place as mine.  Also went to the Wayback site and searched some archives and got some support information downloaded.

Planning on ordering the entire set of wicks.   It is much easier now that I have some certainty of the model.

Offline Krypto

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 03:22:39 AM »
Yeah, now that you mention it, it looks like some of Well's website is broken.  I made a local copy years ago and it's good I haven't synced in awhile.  Hopefully he we get it fixed.

I see SteveWB has a smaller wick set just for the "C" lathe.  Without the QCGB and with the simple apron it shouldn't take long.

While you have the spindle pulled, you might want to install an auto serpentine belt.  Those slippy leather belts quickly lose their appeal.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 03:57:02 AM »

While you have the spindle pulled, you might want to install an auto serpentine belt.  Those slippy leather belts quickly lose their appeal.

I was wondering about that.  Thanks for confirming.   Got the wick set on order tonight.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 01:22:14 PM »
Plus 1 for the auto serpentine belt.    V side towards the pulley...and no it works great that way without the poly V's in the pulley. 

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 08:14:34 PM »
I have a similar motor on my 7" shaper, behind the round pressed in cover is a round felt wick that if I remember correctly rubs on the motor shaft. You will most likely need to dissemble the motor to refill the felt wicks. That is what I did anyway. Once full it will should last years.

Dave

Thanks for the info.   I took the motor apart and there are felt wicks under the covers.   I used a printer cartridge syringe to drip oil on the wick.   They were really thirsty.   I slowly dripped oil on the pads and let them soak it up.   I assume that these mount with the wick below the shaft to lubricate by wicking the oil up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal