Author Topic: Southbend 9 inch rescue  (Read 2780 times)

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
Southbend 9 inch rescue
« on: August 21, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »
I was not in the market or looking for another lathe.  Ran into this at an estate sale of a hoarder who collected tons of "stuff" but did not seem to actually make use of it.   This was on a back shelf in large shop building with two separate areas.   It was covered in its original dried oil crud and tons of dust/rust.   It was not bolted down or the motor hooked up.   But they were only asking $100.   :o    I had to drive 40 miles back home to get my truck and pick up my oldest son to help load it.   I am mostly done getting it cleaned, painted and set up.  Still have to work over the gear train.    I do have a question on the motor.   It has some circular covers where I would expect oil ports but am not familiar with this motor.   How do you oil it?   Also on the motor;  it had square ends and rubber mounts with the square hole for it.   Are these rubber mounts even available now?

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Southbend 9 inch rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
Typical washing machine mount....that is probably the original source of the motor....it'll work fine.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
It appears to be a model C workshop 9"   Much like my Model A.

Does it have it's tag?  itll have a model number ...but I'm 99% sure based on the photo's

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
It appears that the motor is a sealed for life motor.   They are cheap and available.   if it's running well    run it.

For another motor, I would check out Surplus Center

www.surpluscenter.com

Keep your eyes open, as their stock changes constantly...

....on edit....lol   They used to be cheap....now their over $200....look for a used washing machine you can salvage perhaps.....

Dave
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:31:34 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 05:22:42 PM »
If I remember right these oil motors used oil lite bushing. Some are granite ‘embedded others are Poorest with oil soaked glands around it. You can pop the back cap off and look and probably oil it, but the front one remove the end bell cover to see.

Don

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 06:48:16 PM »
There is no Southbend tag on it.   The brass plate on the base is Hart Supply, the distributor.   From pictures on line I kind of thought it might be a 1936 model 15 that came without a base.   This is partially based on the configuration of the apron.   I am just happy that all the bushings appear to be in good condition.   Only flaw located so far is one tooth broken on the backgear.

I may just run the motor as-is.  if it fails, I rebuilt a Rockwell motor that looks like it would work.   My first thought is to keep it in original as found configuration.   So, replace mounts and re-oil if possible.

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 07:50:39 PM »
There is no Southbend tag on it. 

Should be a serial number stamped into the top of the bed at the right end. That will tell all.

I had a 1934 405-Y "Workshop" model for more than 40 years. This one looks like a model 15 or 415 because it has the reverser for the lead screw. Mine did not. I needed to insert an extra gear to change the feed direction or to make left-handed threads.

Gene

Offline Swarf Maker

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 07:58:18 PM »
Does the centre of those oilers press inward against a spring?  If it does then push inward with the spout of an oilcan and give a squirt!

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 08:42:19 PM »

Should be a serial number stamped into the top of the bed at the right end. That will tell all.

I had a 1934 405-Y "Workshop" model for more than 40 years. This one looks like a model 15 or 415 because it has the reverser for the lead screw. Mine did not. I needed to insert an extra gear to change the feed direction or to make left-handed threads.

The serial number stamped in the bed is;  6445NCR8

Your observations on the reverser are consistent with what I have seen on mine.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
Does the centre of those oilers press inward against a spring?  If it does then push inward with the spout of an oilcan and give a squirt!

I wondered about that and pushed on them with a punch but did not feel any give to them.    Worth trying again.

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 11:03:02 PM »
The serial number stamped in the bed is;  6445NCR8

The actual SN would be 64458, which is likely a Model 15 produced in 1936. It is possible to buy actual factory production cards for many old SB lathes, but a pretty good compilation is at the following website.

http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.html

Gene

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 12:46:42 AM »
I have a similar motor on my 7" shaper, behind the round pressed in cover is a round felt wick that if I remember correctly rubs on the motor shaft. You will most likely need to dissemble the motor to refill the felt wicks. That is what I did anyway. Once full it will should last years.

Dave

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:00 AM »

The actual SN would be 64458
Gene

Aha!   You answered a question I had not asked.    I found the formula for using the serial number to determine the date for the lathe but it did not work for me.    I did not know to put the 8 at the end with the rest of the serial number.    :cheers:     Mine calculates to 1934.   So possibly a production run in 1935?

Online Grateful Ted

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 01:34:55 AM »
I’m no expert, but I believe the stamped Ser# is probably correct.
Your SB9 has front spindle oilers, not top oilers like my 1938 SB9.
Yours also has a quill guard with switch mount, & bull gear guard with safety guard.
That would put it at about ‘57 or later.
And that was your lucky day, a SB9c for a C-note, congratulations!
Now all you need is a thread dial & change gears if you wanna cut threads.
A reproduction thread dial is cheap, don’t know about the change gears.
Cheers, GT

Offline Krypto

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 03:52:06 AM »
I think you were right with your first guess of 6445 for the serial #.  In Steve Wells excellent website and database, if you look at the picture of 7148NCR8 you will see it looks identical to your lathe which puts it sometime around 1947.

If you haven't already, you absolutely need to pull the spindle and replace the spindle wicks.  Those old things are probably like hard licorice.  Pity someone made off with the gear cover as I don't think I would be very comfortable running the lathe like that although it looks like plenty are listed on Ebay right now.

Kinda hard to lose when you only paid $100 clams.  Good purchase.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Online Grateful Ted

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 04:05:26 AM »
Looks like 1947 for the win!
Enjoy your lathe.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 02:49:34 AM »
In Steve Wells excellent website and database, if you look at the picture of 7148NCR8 you will see it looks identical to your lathe which puts it sometime around 1947.

If you haven't already, you absolutely need to pull the spindle and replace the spindle wicks.

Sadly, entire sections of Well's website are broken.   Links don't work or pages are blank.
Although I was able to search the index and find the 7148NCR8 and it does look like a match.   The drum switch mount is in the same place as mine.  Also went to the Wayback site and searched some archives and got some support information downloaded.

Planning on ordering the entire set of wicks.   It is much easier now that I have some certainty of the model.

Offline Krypto

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 03:22:39 AM »
Yeah, now that you mention it, it looks like some of Well's website is broken.  I made a local copy years ago and it's good I haven't synced in awhile.  Hopefully he we get it fixed.

I see SteveWB has a smaller wick set just for the "C" lathe.  Without the QCGB and with the simple apron it shouldn't take long.

While you have the spindle pulled, you might want to install an auto serpentine belt.  Those slippy leather belts quickly lose their appeal.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 03:57:02 AM »

While you have the spindle pulled, you might want to install an auto serpentine belt.  Those slippy leather belts quickly lose their appeal.

I was wondering about that.  Thanks for confirming.   Got the wick set on order tonight.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 01:22:14 PM »
Plus 1 for the auto serpentine belt.    V side towards the pulley...and no it works great that way without the poly V's in the pulley. 

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 08:14:34 PM »
I have a similar motor on my 7" shaper, behind the round pressed in cover is a round felt wick that if I remember correctly rubs on the motor shaft. You will most likely need to dissemble the motor to refill the felt wicks. That is what I did anyway. Once full it will should last years.

Dave

Thanks for the info.   I took the motor apart and there are felt wicks under the covers.   I used a printer cartridge syringe to drip oil on the wick.   They were really thirsty.   I slowly dripped oil on the pads and let them soak it up.   I assume that these mount with the wick below the shaft to lubricate by wicking the oil up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal