Author Topic: 3D printing a conrod pattern  (Read 1936 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: 3D printing a conrod pattern
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 03:35:44 PM »
I had both of my 3D printers running today. A pair of conrod halves on the Ender3, and another pair on my resin printer, an Anycubic mono 4k. The resin prints were a total disaster, but it might have been my fault. After printing on the resin printer I wash the excess resin off the parts with water then put them in the curing machine for two minutes. That might be where I've been going wrong. Small parts don't really need extra curing, according to some on youtube. I might have been "over cooking" them. I ten tried another print with different settings to see if I had been over exposing each layer and causing distortion. I dropped the bottom layer times down from 40 seconds for the first 6 layers to 36 seconds. I also lowered the time for the rest of the layers from 2.3 seconds to 1.5 seconds. The print was an even worse disaster! But, at least I now know tha 40s and 2.5s were right-ish in the first place. The photo shows four prints. From right to left.
Ender3 print, solid, useable.
Resin print, hollow 1mm wall thickness, useable.
First failed resin print, solid, scap.
Second failed resin print, solid, adjusted settings, scrap.

The photo isn't very res.
The supports from the second print are at the bottom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 05:15:49 PM by A7er »

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 04:30:24 PM »
The resin prints have failed due to the peel forces bending the supports  and because they are quite soft , they don't spring back. 

Try to reduce the cross section of each layer by changing orientation, and/or add a whole lot more supports. If you are using one of the softer resins, try slowing the peel (lift) speed.

It may be better to print it vertically (or as near as possible)  . Hollow out the solid bits and provide vents where there's any chance of a suction cup.

Understanding the peel forces is critical.
Bill

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 05:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice Bill. There is much I need to learn about resin 3D printing. I never thought about trying a vertical print, I will try tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal