Author Topic: Great Oregon Steam Up 2022  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Great Oregon Steam Up 2022
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:46:56 AM »
Yesterday we went to the Great Oregon Steam-up and I thought I’d share a few pictures of the event.  The steam up is a HUGE event.  It covers acres and acres and has dozen different museums all contained within the grounds.  There’s a Caterpillar museum, a truck museum, and a car and motorcycle museum, just to name a few. But there are MANY more.

There were, of course, also many large steam tractors there, which were some of the things I was more interested in.  Here’s a sampling of a few that were there:

That’s me standing in front of this beast.  Yes, I wore a mask – there weren’t many around, but since I’ve had fairly invasive surgery not too long ago, we decided it was prudent to be cautious.  I don’t want to be back in the hospital for any preventable reason!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIO5V8w3V4A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIO5V8w3V4A</a>

I just found this really cool. They had a cut-away of a boiler on display.  I guess I never realized just HOW MANY stays there were in one of these.  There are tons of them between the firebox and the sides of the boiler!  I couldn’t believe how much support they built into these things, it was really neat to see it opened up like this.

They also have a working sawmill.  It’s pretty impressive to see that blade up close and personal.  It could take your arm right off without missing a beat!

Outside the sawmill, a couple of guys had their model steam donkeys set up moving logs around.  That was pretty interesting to watch.   They also had a full-sized one too!  That one was also interesting but you couldn’t get as close and it was diesel rather than steam.

In addition to the full-sized engines there were quite a few model engines too.  My wife got this picture of me looking at the displays.

The highlight for me was the Willow Creek Railroad that is on the grounds there.  It’s a 1/8” scale 7.5” gauge model railroad.  They had 4-5 trains running giving people rides.  Many of them were various little gas or diesel engines, but the one that caught my eye was a big 4-8-4 steam engine!

There were several other steam engines, but they weren’t running at the time.

Of course, when it was my turn to ride, I asked if I could wait for the steam engine! :) And here I am, on the train  - I’m just to the left of the big tree there – you can see me with the mask on.

Here are a couple of short videos of the train ride.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSw6mGZLIUk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSw6mGZLIUk</a>

This one isn’t the most scenic view, but it is the one where I caught them blowing the whistle, which I thought was pretty cool!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLxdUnPREn4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLxdUnPREn4</a>

And finally, here I am back home, mask-free, showing off my cool new T-shirt I got!

All in all, it was a fun event!
Kim
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:57:14 AM by Kim »

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Great Oregon Steam Up 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 02:44:07 AM »
Hi, some great photos and vids ..thanks for sharing them

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:24:58 AM »
What a great event, thanks for the report!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 11:17:25 AM »
Looks like everybody had a good time there - thank you for showing it to the rest of us  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

I’ll be attending the Rough and Tumble threshers reunion in Kinzer, Pa. In a few weeks with my models. Lots of traction engines there too!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 01:21:57 PM »
Great photos Kim! Thanks for sharing them. Looks like an excellent event.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 02:57:51 PM »
That makes me want to try even harder to go next year! In any case I'm hoping to stop in there on one of our trips to/from Portland, or maybe take the Portland grandkids there for a day trip. We've stopped for gas nearby several times without realizing it was there, only discovered it this past spring!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 05:59:41 PM »
Ron,
The Willow Creek RR is open most Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  Not sure about all the other museums.  The nice thing about the Steam-Up weekend is that all the Museums are open for the price of general admission that day and people bring in lots of other toys to look at too!  Not sure how much is there other days, but I'm sure it's still quite a lot. There were MANY large stationary engines (I didn't show many of those) that would be there regardless, I'm sure.

Kim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 08:23:11 PM »
That looks to be a fine gathering  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 12:58:24 AM »
Kim, thanks for the photos & write-up.
Somehow I manage to miss this Steam-Up every year.
And it’s only 100mi S of me  :facepalm:
In 90s P.R.I.M.E. had a few modeler shows in Eugene which I attended & really enjoyed.
My local annual Toledo Threshing Bee was a great event but no longer happening since 2017. I think it started in 1960 or so, I think these local shows are Kind of disappearing, as the organizers age & insurance costs go up. I dunno.

Offline larry_g

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »

The highlight for me was the Willow Creek Railroad that is on the grounds there.  It’s a 1/8” scale 7.5” gauge model railroad.  They had 4-5 trains running giving people rides.  Many of them were various little gas or diesel engines, but the one that caught my eye was a big 4-8-4 steam engine!

Kim

First time in more than 15 years I have not made the Steamup.  Having some health problems and my leg is not up to it.  That 4-8-4 is owned by my old boss.  He has owned it for many years.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everybody else.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 05:25:20 PM »

Kim

First time in more than 15 years I have not made the Steamup.  Having some health problems and my leg is not up to it.  That 4-8-4 is owned by my old boss.  He has owned it for many years.

lg
no neat sig line

Wow Larry!
That gives me those "small world" feelings!  When you see him, tell him I really enjoyed the ride and appreciated his time - and his engine! :)

Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
That looks like great fun! Some magnificent machines there too.

Cheers,

gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal