Supporting > Additive Machining

My last attempt at print was nearly spot on. Nearly

(1/3) > >>

A7er:
I changed some of the default settings I had used in my first print. I slowed the raising of the plate between layers to reduce the effect of the suction between the plate and the FEP film. I also increased the time between layers to allow the UV light to cure the layer of resin. I pressed print and busied myself. 2 hours later I could just see that the build plate had something on it. All 4 parts had printed almost perfectly. I say almost because the surface finish where the supports were was awful. Some of the parts had 4.1mm holes for set screws. A 4mm set screw slid in with hardly any play. 2 of the parts had flanges on to locate in a recess in another of the prints. These weren't a good fit. The rough surface, is unimportant, the holes are OK, but the flange fit is something of a concern. I think I might scap the flanges and use dowels instead.

How accurate should a resin print be?

BillTodd:
My experience with Elegoo Saturn ...

There is always some shrinkage as the polymer cures and cools (the process has some similarities to casting)
Avoid thick blocks where possible and watch for suction cups and other large areas that can pull the model out of shape .
Correct orientation with proper support is vital.

For accuracy it's best to check the slicer's calibration, the number of pixels per axis verses the actual display size.

If you are designing your own models, try building in sacrificial supports on the underside edges (i.e. you create a virtual build plate under the edge/face)

Expect to have to fiddle the sizes in the model. That said I find M3 and larger threads can be printed fine without compensation.

A7er:
I am slowly getting to grips with the resin printer. I think it fair to say it's more difficult to get right than an FDM printer like my Ender3.

BillTodd:
Yes, it's very different to fdm . Its upside down with all sorts of extra forces (not just gravity) to deal with and a few deep pit-falls for the unwary.

Satisfying when you get it right though. I been using it to make parts for an fdm printer, including a printed extruder https://www.madmodder.net/index.php/topic,13435.msg161507.html#msg161507

A7er:
My Ender3 got a bit of use this evening. I was trying to enlarge a 2 piece piston pattern in diameter to allow for machining the final cast part. I tried coating the existing pattern halves with epoxy putty. It didn't look right. So I peeled the putty off, it hadn't fully hardened, and created a "shell" to glue to the piston halves in my CAD program, exported the STL to Cura and used the Ender to duplicate and print two copies. No mess or fuss and I could see what was going on all the time! I used a layer height of .16 so the finish is quite good. A gentle sanding should be enough.
I have also produced a sliced file for the resin printer to try tomorrow, using my Elegoo water washable resin that was delivered today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version