Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

Stuart Turner Compressor

(1/5) > >>

RayW:
Several years ago I was given this little compressor as a thank you from the widow of a late friend of mine in gratitude for helping her with the disposal of his various collections.
I have always liked the look of it and thought it would make a nice shelf ornament once restored, but I have never got around to doing it. There are no manufacturers identifying marks on it other than a couple of embossed numbers.
I finally decided to do some research on the internet today, and, to my delight, I have discovered that the castings for it were produced by Stuart Turner. The specification is as follows:
Type: twin cylinder, single action, compressor
Bore 1 in
Stroke: 1 in
Height: 5 1/4 in
Availability 1938-1986.
HP: 2,200 cu. in. / min @60psi

Under the paint, the air tank is made of copper, and the only thing missing that I can see is a safety valve, which has been replaced with a piece of copper pipe that has been crimped flat. The spokes of the flywheel are shaped as fan blades to force air over the cooling fins of the cylinders. Even turning the flywheel a few times by hand produces quite a good pressure in the tank.
I would be interested to hear if any other members own or have come across one of these compressors before.

Michael S.:
It looks a bit like Stuart Turner's Sirius. I mean the crank case.
You started a very nice project there. I would carefully restore it.

Michael

RayW:
I understand that it shares some castings with the Sirius Michael. This website gives more details:
http://stuartturnersteam.com/Machines/compressor/compressor.html

I only intend to do a cosmetic restoration, ie clean up and paint, and polish up the brass and copper parts. The only alteration I will make is to add add a safety valve to the tank.

Jasonb:
Ray, I have a jpg image of the plans that I found on the net if you need them. good enough to use when blown up.

RayW:
Thanks Jason. I already found them and saved them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version