Author Topic: 1837 HMS Gorgon Engine  (Read 276 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
1837 HMS Gorgon Engine
« on: August 02, 2022, 01:59:49 AM »
With the 2-Bits v-twin nearly completed, I started thinking about the next project and decided to make it a return to steam. The 1837 HMS Gorgon engine as built by Guenter Kallies caught my eye and my interest. His plans and write-up on the build may be found here:
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Gorgon_engine_build.html

Here's an image of the ship, and a shot of Mr. Kallies finished engine.

For my build I'm scaling the plans to 70%, which allows me to use a bar of 1 OD stainless I have on the shelf to get the cylinders out of. In Alibre I can model the parts using the metric dimensions on the Kallies plans, scale that, then can produce a working drawing with either metric or imperial dimensions (for me in the US, imperial is generally more convenient).

During some dead time while waiting for ignition parts for my v-twin engine build, I made a start on the SS cylinders, bronze pistons (without o-ring grooves yet), SS piston rods, and brass cylinder caps.

Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1837 HMS Gorgon Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:05:18 AM »
What an interesting looking engine!  Just took a quick look through the article link you posted, the condensors and pumps out the side really will look good when moving, all those links should be great.
Watching along!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »
Lots of ship engine builds nowadays.  This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
Lots of ship engine builds nowadays.  This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.
Could always add a little paint or powdercoat for accent color.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 02:47:23 PM »
This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.
For me as well. No reason for it to be 100% brass, and mine won't be.
Regards,
Ron