Author Topic: 1837 HMS Gorgon Engine  (Read 5766 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
1837 HMS Gorgon Engine
« on: August 02, 2022, 01:59:49 AM »
With the 2-Bits v-twin nearly completed, I started thinking about the next project and decided to make it a return to steam. The 1837 HMS Gorgon engine as built by Guenter Kallies caught my eye and my interest. His plans and write-up on the build may be found here:
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Gorgon_engine_build.html

Here's an image of the ship, and a shot of Mr. Kallies finished engine.

For my build I'm scaling the plans to 70%, which allows me to use a bar of 1” OD stainless I have on the shelf to get the cylinders out of. In Alibre I can model the parts using the metric dimensions on the Kallies plans, scale that, then can produce a working drawing with either metric or imperial dimensions (for me in the US, imperial is generally more convenient).

During some dead time while waiting for ignition parts for my v-twin engine build, I made a start on the SS cylinders, bronze pistons (without o-ring grooves yet), SS piston rods, and brass cylinder caps.

Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1837 HMS Gorgon Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:05:18 AM »
What an interesting looking engine!  Just took a quick look through the article link you posted, the condensors and pumps out the side really will look good when moving, all those links should be great.
Watching along!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »
Lots of ship engine builds nowadays.  This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
Lots of ship engine builds nowadays.  This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.
Could always add a little paint or powdercoat for accent color.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 02:47:23 PM »
This is very interesting, although the 100% brass is a bit monochrome for me.
For me as well. No reason for it to be 100% brass, and mine won't be.
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 12:36:58 AM »
OK, I'm starting to focus more on this project now. I don't think I'll do a detailed build log this time though, but will just update my progress periodically.

Both cylinders have been completed, with the exception of drilling/tapping for the studs that will fasten the steam chest. It looks like those may have to be 1-72, so care will be required tapping the stainless. I will wait to make the chest cover first, and use that as a drilling template for everything that goes under it.

The cylinder covers are fastened with 2-56 screws, and that went fine. I helped myself by drilling one size over the normal tap drill. Fear not, those SHCS will be replaced by studs eventually.

Regards,
Ron

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 02:10:44 PM »
Wow, lots of moving parts.  I’ll admit that I’m struggling to envision all the movement.  This is going to be an interesting project.

:popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 06:34:14 PM »
Hello Ron,
you have chosen an interesting machine. The book on building the machine has been in my closet for a number of years. At exhibitions you could often see good and less well built models. I like that you don't make everything out of brass.

Michael

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 01:26:38 AM »
Hi Craig and Michael, and Thank you both. (I'll try to do better than "less well built" ;))
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 11:47:54 PM »
I've gotten the port plates, chests, and chest covers chunked out and attached to the cylinders.

I was nervous about tapping 16 1-72 holes into stainless until I realized I didn't really have to tap very deep. A few threads would be enough to hold the studs firmly vertical, then I would lock them in with red Loctite. This worked out well. The studs started as 1-72 hex head screws. I made some "tall" nuts from 1/8" hex stock. These were threaded on up to the screw heads. Then the screws got a tiny bit of Loctite on the end and were inserted through the valve chest parts and into the cylinders, using the heads to tighten down. The nuts were then run down to the chest cover. After allowing time for the Loctite to cure, the screw heads were cut off using a Dremel and an abrasive cut-off wheel.

The valve glands and steam ports are still to be added.

Regards,
Ron

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 11:51:58 PM »
That is coming along swimmingly Ron!    Brass is such a nice material to play with, it just does what you want it to do and then it looks great too!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 12:55:07 AM »
Looking great!    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 02:52:32 AM »
An interesting prototype to build and I will be following closely.....
Willy :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 03:28:13 AM »
Thanks Dave. I try to be an equal opportunity metal butcher, but you're right, brass is awfully nice!

Thanks Chris!
Glad to have you along, Willy. :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »
Looks really nice Ron!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

So, did you Loctite the port plate onto the cylinder rather than silver soldering it?

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal