Author Topic: ML7 "Restoration"  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Kegan

• Kimberley, South Africa
ML7 "Restoration"
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:27:35 PM »
I am very hesitant to post anything as I don't know when I will get around to doing anything regarding my lathes. But I have 1 1/2  Myford ML7 lathes. I have been dreaming for years to have anything in the lathe department and now I do.
The lathes are in pieces and I need bearings and an AMCE thread tap to make a new nut for the cross slide and I need lots of time!

I got the first lathe, the complete 1, about 2 years ago. A previous owner had decided to increase the gap in the bed and lovingly cut the bed then broke out the unwanted piece. I ground down the jagged left over bits to neaten it up. This lathe is complete with a set of change gears, 3 & 4 jaw chucks and stand but no riser blocks.

The second lathe was bought on an online auction. Nobody bid against me as I don't think anyone knew what this lathe bed was and seeing that there were no other parts. I believe that the story behind the lathe is that an elderly gentleman bought it and wanted to restore it and then had a stroke and was unable to go ahead with his plans. The lathe bed has some character grooves from careless "parting off" no doubt. I shall endeavor to not commit the same "sin" I have a stand for this lathe with a set of riser blocks. The back gear for this lathe looks brand new!

Enough for now. Here are some pics

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: ML7 "Restoration"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 07:40:04 PM »
You seem to have some fine challenges there and also some good possibilities. The green Hamerite is a little bit worrying  :thinking:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal