Author Topic: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine  (Read 117294 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine
« Reply #615 on: March 17, 2023, 04:51:29 PM »
That's like a superhuman number of nuts and bolts, Chris!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Can you even get a socket over some of those middle nuts/bolts? They seem mighty close together.  Hopefully, you won't have to trim the nuts & heads down to a smaller size!  :o

Kim

Online tghs

« Reply #616 on: March 17, 2023, 05:31:50 PM »
that looks like a good candidate for some glass beading!!! it can give a scale cast look and help the paint adhere.. (if I didn't have easy access to a blast cabinet one would be on my shopping list)
what the @#&% over

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #617 on: March 17, 2023, 05:35:21 PM »
Turned out incredibly well. 👍
I'm very impressed.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #618 on: March 17, 2023, 06:13:06 PM »
The alignment is done down the length of the engine bed, as near as I can tell with a long straightedge on the inside faces of the bearing block holders.   :whoohoo:   The final tweaks will have to wait till the bearings themselves are made and can be tested with the ground bearing rod stock (arriving this afternoon). It is sitting flat on the floor plate, and appears to be aligned, though I know that till the actual shaft is tried/lapped to the bearings, it won't be possible to know if it needs a last tweak, but there is enough adjustment in the bolt holes, so I am calling this one a win for now.   :wine1:

Tghs: glass beading would likely look very good and help the paint. I don't have a compressor with enough flow to drive a normal size blast cabinet/gun, I do have one of those airbrush sized sandblasters that can throw fine grit. Its good enough to blend out tool marks before painting, but it would be very tedious for this much surface area.

Kim: in the spaces between the inside end sections and the middle ones, no, there is not enough room for a socket, there is only 1/2" from the screw head to the closest web, and part of that is under the top/bottom rails. So, best I am likely able to do is get the nut started with tweezers and snug it down with open end wrenches. Very tedious, but do-able. On the joint between the two middle sections, there is plenty of room to work like there was on the outside ones. So, its just the four sets. Absolute worst case, if I cannot get them in, would be to glue in some shortened screws as dummies, but I don't think that will be neccessary.

Don: I have a feeling that would work, but the shop elves would get bored, and start tearing up my favorite t shirts for rags to get back at me!
 :cheers: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #619 on: March 18, 2023, 03:45:31 PM »
With the engine bed frame rails all together, it was time to get them attached to the floor plate. Started out with the holes under the bearing blocks, where I could direct drill through the holes in the frames (with the blocks removed). Started out with the same clearance drill size used to make the holes in the frames, to make a guide dimple in the floor plate. Then came back with the tap drill size and went through the plate.

Tapped those holes. You can see the openings near them that give access to the bolts that hold the bearing blocks on.

Then ran screws into some of those holes to hold the frames in alignment, and marked out for the rest of the holes around the frames. Because of the overhanging upper rail, I couldn't run the drill down through the holes directly, so I found a hex wrench that would just fit in the holes, and used that to mark the locations. The tip of the wrench was dipped in some black paint and then pushed down through the holes to leave a paint mark on the plate in the middle of the hole. Went around all the holes, then left the paint to dry.

This morning I removed the frame from the plate, and used the paint marks to drill/tap the holes

Now I'm going around and running in all the screws. Started with the ones down the center to align the frame/plate, then went back to get the rest put in. Bunch more to go...

Next step will be to glue in the gussets with a dab of loctite, and start milling/drilling to attach the bases for the upper frames...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #620 on: March 18, 2023, 04:08:11 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #621 on: March 18, 2023, 04:15:51 PM »
Looking good, Chris!  Lots more drilling, tapping, and putting in screws!   :popcorn:

Kim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #622 on: March 18, 2023, 04:24:59 PM »
Hi Chris,

Nice work on the bedplates.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have you considered using JB Weld adhesive to glue the gussets in place rather than Loctite, which is only a retainer (acrylic) ?

Just a thought

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #623 on: March 18, 2023, 06:17:15 PM »
Hi Chris,

Nice work on the bedplates.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have you considered using JB Weld adhesive to glue the gussets in place rather than Loctite, which is only a retainer (acrylic) ?

Just a thought

Mike
I did consider it, but the JB just loves to get all over my fingers (right before my eyebrow itches of course), elves shoes...  The loctite red dabbed in the slot before running in the plates should be enough to hold, they just need to be held in place against vibrating out again. Its also easy to clean up any squeezeout. I've used it for similar things in the past with good results, and I've got a large bottle of it that I won in the raffle at the RC submarine event in Carmel last year.
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #624 on: March 18, 2023, 06:18:00 PM »
Looking good, Chris!  Lots more drilling, tapping, and putting in screws!   :popcorn:

Kim
The little Proxxon drill press got a workout, as did the tapping stand, and my fingers!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #625 on: March 18, 2023, 06:26:41 PM »
This afternoon I got started on milling the recesses for the vertical frame bases - the frames up to the cylinders will bolt down to these pads. The holes for the bolts have been tap drilled in the pads already but not tapped yet. They will be used as drill guides to extend the holes down into the vertical webs in the engine beds, then the holes tapped in pads and beds together. I'll probably put in a small holding screw through the pads first.

In the picture, the first three recesses have been milled. The two one the right have the pads set in place to show where they will go, the third one by the cutter is empty so far. You can see that the holes in the pads are off center left/right, the feet on the upright frames come angling down in the center and extend out over the pads, so having them offset lets more of the legs sit on the pad - this is the same as shown in the plans for the original.

You can also see where some of the temporary screws from soldering the engine beds are still showing. I'll be filling those with some of the modelling putty I have from the Liquitex acrylic paints that I use on carvings - its a non shrinking acrylic paste that works great for that sort of thing. It could also be done with some JB Weld, but the putty is cleaner and easier to sand flush with the rails.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #626 on: March 18, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »
I get more excited every time I see this thread Chris!    Keep it coming!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #627 on: March 18, 2023, 09:17:10 PM »
Those are looking very good Chris.  Still have a few to go, don't you?
16 of those vertical frame pads and recesses in total?  Or wait, those are only on one side and the rods are on the other side, right? So 'only' eight total?  Still, that's a LOT!

This is like doing a large multicylinder IC engine.  Hey, wait!  It IS a large multicylinder engine!  (just not IC) :ROFL:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #628 on: March 18, 2023, 10:16:50 PM »
I get more excited every time I see this thread Chris!    Keep it coming!

Dave

Will do Dave!  Its getting  close to being a foundation and time to start on bearings and  crankshaft. Gonna look like an engine  soon. 
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #629 on: March 18, 2023, 10:21:21 PM »
Those are looking very good Chris.  Still have a few to go, don't you?
16 of those vertical frame pads and recesses in total?  Or wait, those are only on one side and the rods are on the other side, right? So 'only' eight total?  Still, that's a LOT!

This is like doing a large multicylinder IC engine.  Hey, wait!  It IS a large multicylinder engine!  (just not IC) :ROFL:

Kim
Right, only eight of these. Once I get  past the bearings it will be  back to 'only' four of everything! I got the rest of the slots cut and have started drilling and  tapping the holes. Lots of them!

Hmm, four cylinders  but double acting, so more like an 8 cylinder?    :noidea:   Fires every rev so maybe like a 16 cylinder!    :old:    :LittleDevil:    :lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal