Author Topic: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine  (Read 117296 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2023, 05:40:59 PM »
All this talk of T-rex's and Crankylosaurususes reminded me of this guy.  Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYXpRWHVIPE
Great video!!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2023, 05:46:45 PM »
All this talk of T-rex's and Crankylosaurususes reminded me of this guy.  Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYXpRWHVIPE
Great video!!
Yes, that was hilarious!  I had to share that with my kids!  One of them always jokes about having short T-Rex arms  :ROFL:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2023, 06:31:14 PM »
Then cut the second section to finish forming the flanges on this set, which are for the two outer end side rails. The flanges are wider on the two upper rails on the outboard side, since those are wider to take the round vertical columns. The other 6 are all the same, narrower than these two.

Next will do similar cuts on the 8 rails for the middle two engine beds - those sections are longer but the spacing between flanges is the same.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2023, 09:19:55 PM »
Late to the party after freeze damage repairs, but.....,WOW!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2023, 11:03:53 PM »
Late to the party after freeze damage repairs, but.....,WOW!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Thanks Steve!  The swarf is flying!
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2023, 04:14:28 PM »
More cutting done on the rail pieces

All the horizontal rail parts are now taken to length/width, and am starting in on the vertical webs. The crossrails are notched in the middle for the bearing block supports, and shorter at the one end to match the outboard frame rails. Once that is done, I can start in on putting in the assembly grooves.

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2023, 05:28:19 PM »
It really is a lot of brass parts! You quickly lose track of things.
Maybe you can use a "click system"
develop and connect everything without soldering and screws. How these wooden toys share models made of lasered wood. And the workshop elves have to build it together.

No, I was kidding. Very good work from you. As always.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
It really is a lot of brass parts! You quickly lose track of things.
Maybe you can use a "click system"
develop and connect everything without soldering and screws. How these wooden toys share models made of lasered wood. And the workshop elves have to build it together.

No, I was kidding. Very good work from you. As always.

Michael
A Lego battleship engine!   :Jester:

Thanks Michael!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2023, 07:47:06 PM »
The last of these sets needing to be trimmed to size are the vertical webs for the cross bars - these are tall at one end, shorter at the other, and even lower in the middle to take the bearing blocks. Since the cuts are all rectangular, I decided to just do them in one set in the mill vise. To get them all lined up with each other, they were loosely held with a clamp at one end while sitting on a flat plate, and a square used at the other end to line them all up before tightening the clamp:

Then over to the mill vise and trimmed down at the one end and in the middle:

All the trimming on these blocks is done, so next I'll move on to cutting the slots in the centers of the top/bottom parts to take the vertical webs, all will be temporarily held with small screws for silver soldering.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2023, 09:25:05 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'll bet you were watching purty closely to make sure one of the shop elves didn't stick his boot toe between the square's scale and one of the strips!  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2023, 09:36:57 PM »

I'll bet you were watching purty closely to make sure one of the shop elves didn't stick his boot toe between the square's scale and one of the strips!  :Lol:
STOP giving them ideas! They read these posts!   :facepalm2:      :Jester:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2023, 02:22:24 AM »
I keep forgetting they see everything here!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2023, 03:08:03 PM »
I keep forgetting they see everything here!  :Lol:
And ThEy tYPe sum ov ThE poSTs two...    :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:18 PM »
This morning I got together with the shop elves and mocked up the layout on the engine bed pieces before going further, just to be sure I had things right.

Turns out that I had miscounted and cut a couple extra of the vertical bars - no loss there, that material will get used eventually. Everything else looks right, so on to cutting the grooves to aid in assembly for soldering. I calculated the position of the slots from the outer edge of the bars, then used the mock-up stacks to mark which face of each bar gets slotted since its important to make matched pairs for either end. The first bars were taken over to the mill, adjusted the mill table to give the right spacing, and cut the slot .020" deep down the length.

Here are the first two frame rails, one top, one bottom, with the slots on the inside to make a bookmatched pair.

and a test assemble with the vertical bar:

The slot will keep things aligned, and I'll drill small screw holes through the top/bottom rails into the vertical one to keep it all in place when soldering. I tested a couple of the bars in the slots, and found (not surprisingly) that since the bars vary a couple thou in thickness here and there that some will need a few file swipes to fit properly in the slots. These are just rolled out bars, not precision ground, and the outer corners are not perfectly square. Just like a lot of 'round' bar isn't quite round. No problem as long as it is taken into account.

So, will continue on milling the pairs of rails. The crossbars have thicker vertical webs so those will need to use a larger end mill, and those vertical bars will extend halfway across these side rails to lock the sidebars  and crossbars together - that will be done after they are all slotted and drilled. I want to do the drilling with the mill table centered on the slots still, to ensure the holes go in the center of the slots. Lotsa careful work to come...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2023, 03:36:27 PM »

Great progress! That is going to be one sturdy engine bed. The real thing must have given crane operators some tense moments.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal