Author Topic: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine  (Read 119799 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of Battleship Ohio Engine
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2022, 12:35:45 AM »
That baring engine is 2m off the deck....you aint grabbin nutin honey!.    Remote operation for sure.   Probably lubricated from the next engine room deck above the main deck.
Aint nuthin small on that beast!  The control levers for the reverse engine and drain valves is a good guide for how/where they placed them, I'll copy that for the barring engine since they don't show it in the drawing.

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2022, 08:42:06 PM »
Hello Chris,
I looked up another magazine about steam models and found a construction report about a large marine steam engine. There is a picture of the turn machine on the crankshaft. I copied a small picture and you can see how the model farmer added it. There are a few more pictures but I don't know if I'm allowed to show it from this magazine.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2022, 09:49:00 PM »
Great picture!  Could you email me the pictures?

Looks like that one has a pivot on the worm gear and links underneath to push it in and out of engagement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
Catching up on the latest CAD work. This got slowed down for a while since I was going back and forth with their support team after the latest update broke a couple things. That seems to be worked out, which puts the fun back in.

After doing more on the steam chest and valve slider, I decided to model in the pipes since that work had added the flanges they mount to. The pipes down the side act as the steam receiver chambers. Note that the IP cylinder sends its exhaust to both of the LP cylinders, and the exhaust from both LP cylinders collect up to one pipe on the way to the condenser.

It really covers a LOT of details on the side of the engine:

Which makes the other side of the engine much more interesting:

And yes, the two LP cylinders have not been drawn yet, just the common parts from the IP are there and will be adjusted to fit the slightly larger LP diameters. For now, they are still in Transparent Cast Iron alloy!   :Lol:
I sat down at the table with the plan sheets again, browsing through and sorting out which pages have been drawn in CAD, when I noticed a goof I made. The two exhausts from the LP1 and LP2 cylinders dont join up and go aft, they each come down seperately to either end of the condenser tank that sits next to the aft end of the engine. I'll have to redraw those pipes. The ones between the cylinders are fine as is, just the final exhaust ones need to be fixed.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2022, 02:41:52 AM »
Found this online.   About the same horse power.....
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2022, 02:43:44 AM »
Blown up a bit  Take a look at the plumbing.....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:21:40 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2022, 03:21:42 AM »
Massive engine!  That a bank of thrust bearings to the left foreground?  Modern engines just don't have the same character.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2022, 03:22:52 AM »
That is one of the engines from the HMS Terrible.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2022, 12:13:41 AM »
Been spending a little time in the CAD drawing over the last month, got a few more bits on. After fixing the pipe layout and adding the condenser tank, next main piece was the bilge pump on the end of the crankshaft. It sits behind the LP2 eccentrics, on the end of the frame. It has its own eccentric that drives two piston pumps, one on either side of the frame.

Here is an overall view of where things are now:

The last remaining subassemblies are the reversing engine and its links to the reverse gear on each piston, and the barring engine (labelled turning engine on the plans) that will sit at the HP end of the crankshaft. Quite a monster engine, going to be interesting to see how the sizes work out to get it small enough to build the cylinders but big enough to stay out of watchmaker territory. I'm intentionally staying away from those calculations for now!   :paranoia:   All thosew little dots around the steam chests and cylinder covers are studs and nuts! 

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2022, 02:37:20 AM »
Might be an idea to buy a 1932 Brown and Sharpe cam drive screw and nut machine Chris, for all those 'dots'! We had some such 1930's screw machines at one firm I worked for that would make a brass #2-56 x 1/4" hex head screw about every 10 seconds. They may have all been scrapped by now, definitely ancient tech, but they could sure crank out the hardware! :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2022, 02:44:50 AM »
Might be an idea to buy a 1932 Brown and Sharpe cam drive screw and nut machine Chris, for all those 'dots'! We had some such 1930's screw machines at one firm I worked for that would make a brass #2-56 x 1/4" hex head screw about every 10 seconds. They may have all been scrapped by now, definitely ancient tech, but they could sure crank out the hardware! :cheers:
Sounds like a fun machine. Dig one out of the back closet for me, will you?   :Lol:   Its getting harder to find external hex head small screws in steel these last few years, I try and stock up whenever I see them. Some sizes are still available easily, others are rare as unicorn fangs. Making a few in specific size is not hard, but by the hundred gets very tedious. Its like finding someone who still makes true engraved plates rather than laser printing them.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2022, 05:33:57 AM »

A shop I worked at while I was in high school and college (in the late 70's early 80's) had a half dozen of those screw machines!  Several different types & makes.  Once I turned 18 I was able to run them.  It was quite a blast!  For about a day - then it became real drudgery work.  It turned out a coupler ball every few minutes.  And I had to keep the machine stocked with 20' bar stock, make sure it was operating well, and clean up all the parts that it spit out.

Aside from the boredom, it was great - paid my way through college with that job!

But they had some single spindle machines where 4 different stations would rotate around to work on the part.  The faster machines had four spindles which would rotate to each of the different four stations.  So clearly, the four spindle machines were 4x faster than the single spindle machines.

They were old machines even 40+ years ago.

That brings back memories.  Working there in late high school is what solidified my intent to go to college so I could get a job where I didn't have to do the assembly line work!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »
One more subsystem drawn up, the reverse engine and its links. This is a single-cylinder engine (red, next to and below the blue IP cylinder) with a second cylinder to dampen the speed of the movement. Its up/down stroke is connected to the long rod (yellow) along the length of the main engine, driving crank arms linked to each reversing link on each cylinder.

One more subsystem to go, the turning/barring engine that will go on the end of the crankshaft next to the HP cylinder (left in the picture).

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2022, 10:41:57 PM »
One more subsystem drawn up, the reverse engine and its links. This is a single-cylinder engine (red, next to and below the blue IP cylinder) with a second cylinder to dampen the speed of the movement. Its up/down stroke is connected to the long rod (yellow) along the length of the main engine, driving crank arms linked to each reversing link on each cylinder.

One more subsystem to go, the turning/barring engine that will go on the end of the crankshaft next to the HP cylinder (left in the picture).

Thats amazing Chris!!!   So glad we worked out getting those prints going
Damned ijjit!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2022, 10:57:36 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal