Author Topic: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build  (Read 20190 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2022, 02:40:33 PM »
Today is much clearer skies, the lightning storms are long gone, so a good time to get that front end cap silver soldered. Was gathering up the stuff to take outside, and realized just in time that it needed one more crossbar! The piston rod gland runs crosswise to the main bar, not along it. So, got out another short length of bar, and notched them both to fit:

THEN assembled them with a small screw from the other side to hold them all for soldering:

Just got the soldering done, and the part is cooling now. Then will let it soak in the pickle for a while and get it cleaned up. The holes will be drilled after that, and the ends of the bars rounded off around them...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2022, 04:34:03 PM »
Looks like you had a lot of fun with your RC Subs, Chris!

And you're back to moving along on your Ransome Tree Feller, while drawing up your next project of the Ohio in your spare time.

You don't let any grass grow under your feet, do you?   :Lol:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2022, 07:28:53 PM »
Looks like you had a lot of fun with your RC Subs, Chris!

And you're back to moving along on your Ransome Tree Feller, while drawing up your next project of the Ohio in your spare time.

You don't let any grass grow under your feet, do you?   :Lol:

Kim
Its nice to be able to bounce between projects as the mood strikes!   The shop elves have been yelling at me for not working on the motorizing of their little ATV buggy, a week or two ago I figured out how to get the body panels off it (lots of little molded in clips) so I can put in the steering servo and  got the motor/chain drive figured out, but then its been sitting there in pieces ever since. I found a tiny little gearmotor on Amazon that will be perfect, and have a micro servo already. Will get back to that soon, or not, depends on how long the nice temperatures last outside (reading on the porch takes precedence, summer is too short to waste).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2022, 07:29:45 PM »
Here are the front cap parts all soldered up and cleaned, ready for next stage of shaping:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2022, 08:19:00 PM »
Are you making a tree feller or a Celtic Cross? Looks good either way. :Lol:
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2022, 08:42:05 PM »

A poorly designed pyramid!   :Lol:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »
First pyramid I've seen with 90 degree sides, but hey....I may have been having a nap that day when pyramid geometry was taught. I missed 2 sided triangles too. :Lol:

"it'll be great for deck furniture" said the architect in 2800 BC.  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2022, 09:54:58 PM »

A poorly designed pyramid!   :Lol:
How do you make a Celtic cross? Cut his leg with a Ransome Tree Saw!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2022, 04:07:13 PM »
Got the front cap centered up in the 4-jaw, took a fair bit of time with the dial indicator against the round area of the cap, a little hard to get at. The cross bar is JUST too wide for the 3-jaw to clear past it. The outer face was trued up, piston rod hole drilled, and the o-ring recess counterbored out:

The chuck was moved over to the rotary table on the mill, centered, and offset for drilling the gland holes (4-40 tapped). I like using the rotab for this since spinning it 180 degrees between holes ensures that they are centered across the center.

With the same position of the rotab, the matching clearance holes were drilled in the gland, which was first turned on the lathe.

then milled the profile for the gland arms...

The gland was flipped around in the 3-jaw, and the excess trimmed off

Test fit on the front cap

Next step is to drill the holes in the arms on the cross bar for the piston rod guides and for the valve bearing...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
Parts are looking great Chris! And the Celtic doesn't look too cross at all anymore!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »
Back home again, was off to the Antique Engine Expo at Mystic Seaport Museum over this weekend, took the Sabino engine model to run. First stopped in at Battleship Cove at Fall River to tour the ships there, have not seen them since I was a kid. They have a WW-II fleet submarine, a destroyer, and the battleship Massachusettes there. LOTS of ladders up and down in the hull. Then next day over to the show. So, here is a short overview of the trip:

Starting at Battleship Cove/Fall River,

Didnt take a lot of pictures there, but a few of note. Apparently the Navy knew the right way to care for shop gnomes/gremlins:

That was painted on the side of the fore turret. Down in the engineering spaces, it looks like they missed one:

They do have a nice big machine shop there! On the sub, there is just a tool-room size lathe tucked behind one of the deisel engines, on the battleship is a huge room:

That ship used geared down turbines for the four props, so no big recip[rocating engines to look at...  :'(

Then over to Mystic Seaport for the engine show. For those who have not been there, the museum has a small village like a whaling port would have, with a number of large and small ships/boats along the river. The centerpiece is the Charles W Morgan whaleship:

Next to it was docked this large fireboat:

Was surprised to see the Sabino hauled out on the lift dock,

They are replanking the hull and replacing part of the keel at the bow:

The show was held at the shipyard end of the museum, with a row of big engines belonging to the museum outside the shop:

These were all hooked up to a big boiler next to the building. This one is fascinating, its a steering engine for a ship. It has a two cylinder steam engine, geared in to a drum that would have chains to the tiller arm on the rudder, and the post out the top would connect tot he ships wheel. Its essentially a giant servo, as the post from the wheel is turned, that moves some of the gears which move the valve, which starts the steam engine turning, which recenters the valve again and stops the engine when it matches the new valve position. Very clever, I want to look the patents on these up, maybe a (nother) future project.

This one has similar steam engine, driving an anchor windlass. They had fun doing tug-of-wars with visitors, with the guy on the engine taking just one turn of the rope around the drum and holding the end with two fingers, just enough to give the rope tension on the drum and pulling the people across the dirt.

Inside was a room with models of all sorts, RC boats to engines.

Looks like TGHS's Slim has friends with a speedboat:

Lots of engine models, including one I had been hoping to see, the Sabino engine that Greg Young built, I used his pictures/sketches as a reference when starting mine.

as well as rows of others

Outside, lots of antique outboards

This one looks like Don was busy shining the brass

This one is a Naptha launch engine, 3 cylinder, that a guy restored

Big engines

This one is still under construction

Another giant compound

Apparently in the shipyard they have shop elves that look a lot like Waldorf and Statler from the Muppet Show...

In the afternoon they opened up their warehouse with all the other boats/engines not on active display for us to wander through. Nice set of engines:

This Herreshof engine has a neat valve arrangement, with a lay shaft next to the crank shaft for the eccentrics:

with a neat arrangement for reverse, the spiral gear offsets the shaft in relation to the crankshaft:

Overall a very fun show!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »
And a compilation of my video snippets from the show:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBq9Q7-j364" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBq9Q7-j364</a>

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:15:07 PM by crueby »

Online tghs

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2022, 07:10:39 PM »
thats why Slim only gets to take part in the steam projects in the shop, (I'm a little worried when work starts on the 1pdr gun) nice navy compound launch engine photo.. (later model with piston valve on the HP cylinder)
what the @#&% over

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2022, 08:20:47 PM »
Great coverage of the Mystic event! Particularly like the big Atlas engine - coming to a tugboat near you! Your Sabino engine looks fantastic too.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal