Author Topic: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build  (Read 20189 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 07:27:39 PM »
Hi Chris, re twisting the square bar - no idea what size the bar will be but the bigger it is the more heat it will take to persuade it to get its knickers in a twist. I'd throw it in my charcoal forge, myself, or if you have a charcoal hibachi and a hair dryer to blow a bit of air into it, that will likely do. (If the bar is small, possibly a MAPP or propane/air torch will get it red hot. ) When hot I'd grip one end in the vise and the other with a two handle tap wrench. Twist and pull at the same time to control the pitch. It takes very little effort to twist with the leverage from a tap wrench, until the bar size gets to a half inch or bigger. The big bars 3/4" square or bigger can be a rasslin match. Used to do quite a lot of twisting for decorative bits in fences and gates, up to 2 1/2" square. Those ones took two men on 3 foot bars to twist at high red heat. Too busted up physically now to even think about that kind of work, it it was fun when I was able!  Just food for thought.  :cheers:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

PS how you doin' for popcorn supply? should I send another dump truck load?   :Lol:
The bar for the model is only 3/16" across, so it shouldn't need more than a small torch, if that is needed at all. Bench vise and wrench ought to do it. Will know in a few weeks!
Yup, another dump truck load would be good. The elves like the white-kernel corn, doesnt have the little husks to get stuck in their fangs.   :Lol:

The shop elves apparently got tired of having to wait for the boiler on the Mann truck to get steam up when they go for beer/popcorn runs, and they went and ordered themselves a two-elf ATV:

They didn't realize it has no engine in it, so this morning they dumped the ATV, a little electric motor, and a chain/sprocket set in my cereal bowl and stormed off. Now I guess they want me to turn it into a electric cart for them.   :facepalm:   Hmmm, did they use the bottle deposit money from the last load of beer bottles, or did they hack my Amazon account again....  :atcomputer:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 07:28:48 PM »
Some more done on the cylinder, I got the rest of the turning done on the center section:

Tomorrow I will start cutting the slots for the blocks that get silver soldered on...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 12:54:45 AM »
Cylinder's looking great! re the ATV - you could have some fun with the motorizing project - how about reversing the steering linkage - when you turn left the ATV goes right?  :Lol:

I think your shop elves may have been chatting with my shop gnomes - MY amazon account shows charges for a motor and chain, sprockets!  :Lol:'

I'll get the starter fixed on the screamin 6 jimmy dump truck, and get a load of the white kernel popcorn on its' way to you. Just listen for the screamin 6 with the missing exhaust stack. You'll probably hear it a county away... :cheers:   hashtag "popular with neighbours" (not sponsored) :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 01:10:16 AM »
Cylinder's looking great! re the ATV - you could have some fun with the motorizing project - how about reversing the steering linkage - when you turn left the ATV goes right?  :Lol:
Thats evil!  Will do!   :LittleDevil:
I think your shop elves may have been chatting with my shop gnomes - MY amazon account shows charges for a motor and chain, sprockets!  :Lol: '
Thats great!  Er, um, I mean terrible!   :mischief:
I'll get the starter fixed on the screamin 6 jimmy dump truck, and get a load of the white kernel popcorn on its' way to you. Just listen for the screamin 6 with the missing exhaust stack. You'll probably hear it a county away... :cheers:   hashtag "popular with neighbours" (not sponsored) :Lol:
Sounds (pun) like it just needs a steam whistle. A big one!   :Jester:

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 12:52:38 PM »
Hi Chris, I will start following your build now, so i don't have to catch up, I am amazed at the work you are able to pump out with the Sherline, :)
Well done,
Gary

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi Chris, I will start following your build now, so i don't have to catch up, I am amazed at the work you are able to pump out with the Sherline, :)
Well done,
Gary
Thanks Gary!  Glad to have you riding along!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 04:34:53 PM »
This morning I got started on the slots to take the bars that need to be added on to the cylinder sides. First one is for the guide block at the front, which helps hold the valve rod. There will be another block on the cylinder cap to hold the saw guide rods as well as the valve rod.

Next were two slots for the steam passages that run from the center out to the ends of the cylinders. Each is offset from the centerline to line up with the valve holes that will be in the center plate.

Each slot runs from one end to the center - they share a centerline, each is offset to the opposite side from the other.

Here is how they look in relation to each other. The passage blocks will have slots in the undersides to form the passages.

Where they meet in the center needs to be recessed for the plate that holds the valve body and the trunnion on that side. Another recess will be on the opposite side for the other trunnion. I think I am going to silver solder on these first three blocks, then come back and recess for the middle plate, since it needs to cut down through the two passage blocks. This is where having different temperature grades of the silver solder comes in handy, use the higher temp first, then the lower temp on the later joints.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 04:15:47 PM »
This morning got started on the passage blocks and the end support block. The end block was trimmed out of a larger offcut piece, with the outer end rounded off. The holes in it will be done later at the same time as the cylinder cap, which shares two of the holes.

Then moved on to the two steam passage blocks, which run down the length of the cylinder. Cut them from a wider piece, trimmed till they were a good fit (not too tight so there is room for solder to flow in the joints) and then a slot cut into the undersides to form the passages.

Here they all are set in place on the cylinder:

Next step will be to silver solder them all in place. At the center where the passage blocks end, a round recess will be milled in to take the center valve holder and pivot block.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 04:00:33 PM »
Started in with the silver soldering this morning. Used my second-largest torch nozzle, and was just able to get the block up to temperature to do one side of the passage blocks. So, its in soaking in pickle solution to clean it up again, and I'll switch to the big one that I normally just use for boilers. Pics later today hopefully!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Couple more sessions with the larger torch, that is working better. Got the other side of the passage blocks soldered, and then did the block at the end. Cooling now, then will go in for a cleanup soak. If that all looks good, next step will be to mill in the openings for the center block/pivot piece. I'm thinking that to keep it all lined up, I'll used the first pivot to mill the opening on the opposite side for the other trunnion.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2022, 12:25:59 AM »
After cleaning up the cylinder, looks like the joints on the long passage blocks are fine, but the ones on the end support block failed. Appears that I got the block heated up before the end of the cylinder and the solder only flowed onto the block. So, will give that one a redo tomorrow, getting dark out now. The cylinder is about 1 pound, so its a big heat sink.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2022, 01:36:02 AM »
Hi "C" , interesting new project and will there be a portable boiler/engine to go with it ??

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 01:43:34 AM »
Hi "C" , interesting new project and will there be a portable boiler/engine to go with it ??

Willy
Hi Willy,

Well, I have a PMR boiler kit thats been gathering dust for years, got it back when I got the book for building a portable donkey engine. Maybe this would be a good time to finally build it! Could still put it on skids with the donkey engine and winch, with a tap off for the saw, might make a great pairing.   Hmmm...   :thinking:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
Re-soldered the end block this morning, that time it went perfectly.

So, ready for the next tricky bit - milling out the opening for the valve base/trunnion on the one side of the cylinder. This base will have holes connecting the long passages to the valve body, so the soldering on this piece is important - dont want to use too much solder and plug the passages, but needs enough to take the weight of the cylinder. I clamped the cylinder to the rotary table with the end block horizontal, which lined up the center of the opening to be cut vertically. The slots in the rotary table worked great for centering the cylinder, the larger portions at the ends of the cylinder sat down in the slots and lined it up.  Here is the setup:

Started in the center with some cuts from the side and some plunge cuts to start the end mill, then worked my way out while turning the rotary table to make the opening:

Here is the finished opening, ready to make the center post/pivot block:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal