Author Topic: Hand Rail  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
Hand Rail
« on: July 25, 2022, 12:53:03 PM »
This is a project I have been putting off for ever waiting to acquire certain skills and tooling, I totally needed a cold cut saw to complete this task  :toilet_claw:

As expected, the Brobo saw cuts perfect fitting miter joints, as can be seen in the attached (somewhat blurry) photo

A pity then that the miter angle was wrong :facepalm:

So far off to a great start
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hand Rail
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 01:42:12 PM »
Well this thread got more views than I was expecting! I now feel bad for the blurry picture

To cap it off ... *cough* ... a few more photos

I should not be surprised but having clean straight cuts is a joy to TIG weld.

The hand rail is done* and as a learning exercise I am pretty sure I managed to mess up every step of the way from assuming the stairs were perfectly flat and parallel to each other, to mis-drilling one of the mounting holes in the concrete by a few millimeters. Luckily, these stairs will be covered up by the deck when it gets rebuilt. I did get in a lot of TIG welding though, including a lot of out of position work.

*completed handrail not shown as the back of my house is not very flattering at the moment  :embarassed:

Thank you for your interest!

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 04:01:29 PM »
Brendon:

The second photo looks like a foot to bolt or screw to the deck/ground. Did you put a weep hole at the bottom to let the water out? I've had trouble with similar railings. Somehow, and always, water gets inside and rusts it away at the bottom. That or freezes and splits the tubing.

Not my line of work so don't know the rules. But I've had problems in the past.

Thanks for the post. Nice work.
Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Brendon,
Those look like great welds to me!  Very pretty!  You should feel pleased with your welding :)

Kim

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »
Thank you Kim, it's worth mentioning you are seeing the better welds however  :toilet_claw:

Brendon:

The second photo looks like a foot to bolt or screw to the deck/ground. Did you put a weep hole at the bottom to let the water out? I've had trouble with similar railings. Somehow, and always, water gets inside and rusts it away at the bottom. That or freezes and splits the tubing.

Not my line of work so don't know the rules. But I've had problems in the past.

Thanks for the post. Nice work.

Hello Hugh

Thanks to my welding skill, the bottoms of the legs will not be air tight, so weep holes are automatically built in... it's not a bug, it's a feature  :Lol:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
Hello Hugh

Thanks to my welding skill, the bottoms of the legs will not be air tight, so weep holes are automatically built in... it's not a bug, it's a feature  :Lol:

Cool. Then my welds have too many "features" to count. Yours look nice to me.

Thanks.
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal