Author Topic: Yard sale find of the year  (Read 1273 times)

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
Yard sale find of the year
« on: July 23, 2022, 02:01:53 AM »

Well actually it's been a couple of years ago now. I only paid $1 for it. It's been setting on the shelf waiting on me to do something with it, and since I have a new to me Lagun knee mill, I decided I'd better get an arbor for this chuck. I've searched all the popular tool houses plus duck duck go, and Google, and the only one I could find came up on eBay out of India.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=1&_stpos=64011&_osacat=0&_ftrt=901&_sop=12&_ftrv=1&LH_PrefLoc=2&_ipg=60&_odkw=334225227184&_sadis=15&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=334275227184&_sacat=0

After watching some of the You Tube videos from the machinist over there, I wonder about the quality of this item. I wouldn't mind spending the 55 bucks, but if it has bad run out ,I wouldn't be a happy camper. So what do you fellows think, should I go for it or not??
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:16:31 AM by gldavison »
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Online Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Yard sale find of the year
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 03:56:01 AM »
I'd go for it. Looks like a good one not chinese at least.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 07:17:24 AM »
As it's only a screw on chuck it won't have the same spec as the taper mounted ones so doubt the arbor will make much difference particularly if the chuck has had a hard life and some wear.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 09:38:32 AM »
I have a 13mm Albrecht J6 taper mounted chuck which is superb ( as new condition , bequeathed to me by an old model engineering friend ).  I wondered if you could do a simple test of your time served chuck by screwcutting a matching thread in situ on the lathe on a stub of steel in the lathe chuck, and just seeing what the run out of the chuck is when threaded onto the thing?   And maybe just make your arbor in the home shop if it looks worth the trouble?   Dave

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 04:27:33 PM »
I thought all Albrecht chucks were taper mounts; never encountered a threaded mount.  Is it possible that somebody made a female threaded, tapered insert for the chuck ? 

If that question can't be answered by external inspection, it may be worth dismantling the chuck (good opportunity to lubricate) to see if there is a removable insert.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 04:52:23 PM »
Turns out someone have put a threaded insert in this chuck.  I'll have to disassemble and press out the insert.

Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 11:33:59 PM »
This chuck project will have to be put on hold. I was in the middle of putting a DRO on my Lagun mill and just thought I would get an arbor ordered for this chuck so I wouldn't have to remove the one on my other mill. So back to the DRO I go.
Gary

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 03:48:25 PM »
Well, I finally got the DRO installed  :whoohoo: :cartwheel:  and got the chuck disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Thank you Tom in this video: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_jQ7-UiWgI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_jQ7-UiWgI</a>

It was really cruddy inside, and has some  outside damage that will not effect its function. As you can see it did have a threaded insert. All I need now is a R8 adapter.

Thanks for looking in.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:53:12 PM by gldavison »
Gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 08:25:11 PM »
Gongrat on the DRO - you are most likely going to Love it  :Love:

Great the you gave the Chuck some needed TLC  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal