General Category > Chatterbox

Yard sale find of the year

(1/2) > >>

gldavison:

Well actually it's been a couple of years ago now. I only paid $1 for it. It's been setting on the shelf waiting on me to do something with it, and since I have a new to me Lagun knee mill, I decided I'd better get an arbor for this chuck. I've searched all the popular tool houses plus duck duck go, and Google, and the only one I could find came up on eBay out of India.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=1&_stpos=64011&_osacat=0&_ftrt=901&_sop=12&_ftrv=1&LH_PrefLoc=2&_ipg=60&_odkw=334225227184&_sadis=15&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=334275227184&_sacat=0

After watching some of the You Tube videos from the machinist over there, I wonder about the quality of this item. I wouldn't mind spending the 55 bucks, but if it has bad run out ,I wouldn't be a happy camper. So what do you fellows think, should I go for it or not??

Pete49:
I'd go for it. Looks like a good one not chinese at least.

Jasonb:
As it's only a screw on chuck it won't have the same spec as the taper mounted ones so doubt the arbor will make much difference particularly if the chuck has had a hard life and some wear.

Chipswitheverything:
I have a 13mm Albrecht J6 taper mounted chuck which is superb ( as new condition , bequeathed to me by an old model engineering friend ).  I wondered if you could do a simple test of your time served chuck by screwcutting a matching thread in situ on the lathe on a stub of steel in the lathe chuck, and just seeing what the run out of the chuck is when threaded onto the thing?   And maybe just make your arbor in the home shop if it looks worth the trouble?   Dave

mklotz:
I thought all Albrecht chucks were taper mounts; never encountered a threaded mount.  Is it possible that somebody made a female threaded, tapered insert for the chuck ? 

If that question can't be answered by external inspection, it may be worth dismantling the chuck (good opportunity to lubricate) to see if there is a removable insert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version